Xfce XOrg no screens found

Hi Folks,

I am on 13.1-RELEASE-p3
I started my FreeBSD as VM guest and I cannot get X. Last snapshot Nov 30 is OK.
I followed the manual https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/x11/, section 5.7.3 and when I checked /etc/X11 and is empty. Also /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf is not there.
xorg and xorg server are instaled, and reinstalled

Code:
X -configure /root/xorg.conf.new
No screen found (ee) error

Hello,
I understand that after X -configure /root/xorg.conf.new did you copy/rename this file mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?
And do you have installed emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions ?

And the command to test the file should be X -config /root/xorg.conf.new, If I remember it right.

Yes, FreeBSD is on VBox.
I just uninstalled vbox-ose-additions and the behaviour is the same

why the /etc/X11 was empty? I though xorg will take care of the minimum settings.

I know will work because it works before, and works now on the latest snapshot. Just don't know why xorg refuses connection.

nope ...
I can pasted here maybe somebody will have a clue. I am sure the working X snapshot has the same errors BUT magically works.
Also:
virtualbox-ose-additions were installed on snapshot then I think it is not because virtualbox-ose-additions.
/etc/X11 has not xorg.conf and works.
And it is not in ~/ or /root.
/etc/rc.conf are identical

I think the X server does not provide a display
echo $DISPLAY is null

On snapshot is 0:0

I can startx (or xnit) but gets stuck when X starts the graphic thing

Installed GNOME and X works. Uninstalled GNOME and X worked like a charm. Issue solved

Attachments

• Xorg.0.txt
    21.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Code:
[   985.732] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
In the config of VirtualBox do you use "Enable 3D acceleration"?
Try to set the default settings for the video card in VirtualBox.

But for X11 to work properly, the configuration files must be in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Please stop using the old directory; it's /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

That said, you shouldn't need to create an xorg.conf at all, remove it. For a Virtualbox VM create a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-vbox.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier "Card0"
	Driver "vboxvideo"
	VendorName "InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH"
	BoardName "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier "Mouse0"
	Driver "vboxmouse"
EndSection

Then run startx and see what happens. If you still have problems; cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 and post the URL here so we can have a look at your logs.

Code:
[   985.732] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
In the config of VirtualBox do you use "Enable 3D acceleration"?
Try to set the default settings for the video card in VirtualBox.
No, "Enable 3D acceleration" is disabled. Also VBoxSVGA is default. But I tested to see if X start. However for the snapshot works either way (VBoxSVGA or VSVGA)

Last edited:
I attached xorg.conf,new (generated manually since X was not working yestarday) however is no xorg.conf NOW in /etc/X11 or /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and X works fine.

Attachments

• xorg.conf.new.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 86
Hi,
did you change the graphics driver in the display settings of your VM in the past? As far as I know you have to choose the VBoxSVGA graphics controller for a FreeBSD guest, not the default one. Just ignore the warning, it works nevertheless.

Back