Solved Xorg/KDE Doesn't Load After Clean Install

I reinstalled FreeBSD and KDE today because of an issue I was having with my clock. Everything seemed to work after installing FreeBSD and Xorg. I was even able to run the TWM window manager after installing Xorg by running % startx as a regular user. The issue came when I got to the very last step of starting KDE by running % startx. I did everything the same in this install as my previous install, except:
  • I enabled the ntpdate system service and did not enable the local_unbound system service when installing FreeBSD
  • I followed my instructions for installing KDE identically from before, except:
    • I did not do steps L7 and L8 because I was told they were unnecessary and instead rebooted the computer right before step L9
    • I did not do steps L18-L23 because I couldn't figure them out the first time
  • When I first tried launching KDE (step L32), I mistakenly typed % stat rather than % startx, panicked, and ran the command by pressing Enter
Does anyone know why KDE is not working? I am planning on doing a clean install of FreeBSD and KDE to see if that fixes it. I'd like to do this soon, but perhaps there's an easier solution. Please see the attachment no-kde.jpg for the error message I get when trying to launch KDE by running % startx.

Attachments

• no-kde.jpg
    no-kde.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 224
For some reason X.Org tries to use the scfb driver instead of modesetting. Do you have an X.Org configuration file? If so, delete it.

In addition:
- did you install drm-kmod?
- i don't know if it makes a difference but try remove the path and the extension of i915kms in rc.conf, i.e. kld_list="i915kms"

For some reason X.Org tries to use the scfb driver instead of modesetting. Do you have an X.Org configuration file? If so, delete it.

In addition:
- did you install drm-kmod?
- i don't know if it makes a difference but try remove the path and the extension of i915kms in rc.conf, i.e. kld_list="i915kms"
I changed kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko" to kld_list="i915kms" and rebooted, but I am still unable to start KDE.

I did install drm-kmod. It was the first thing I did.

Could you tell me how to determine if I have an X.Org configuration file and how to delete it? I'm a noob, and need all commands written out (and specified whether I should be root or a regular user).

Keep in mind, I basically did everything the same with this install as my install last month. I even used the same copy of FreeBSD on the same USB stick. Do you really think I should do something like deleting a configuration file -- since everything worked last time -- or should I just try reinstalling again or trying other (less destructive, in my noob point of view) methods?

There is none by default, if you didn't create one, you don't have one.

I don't want to sound mean but i am not willing to read all of the previous thread, it's too much text for me now.
You don't need to read the entire previous thread. You don't even need to read the only relevant post (post #127) with the instructions I followed. The point I'd like to make is I did basically the everything the same as I did a month ago, but am now getting the message in the attachment in my original post when I try to start KDE by running % startx.

Not relevant now, but unlike Linux, it is not necessary to reinstall FreeBSD when you are dealing with user software (xorg, kde, etc). All user software goes under /usr/local rather than being commingled with the OS as it is in Linux.

Unless you needed OS install practice :)

Did you add your username to the wheel and video groups? This step is not mentioned in your above-cited post #127.

# pw groupmod wheel -m <username>

# pw groupmod video -m <username>

Reference: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/x11/#x-config
Yes, the user is part of the wheel, video, and operator groups, per recommendations elsewhere in the thread. Those instructions are just for installing Xorg and KDE, but they probably should include that instruction.

You're right. Thanks for catching that. I was typing the forum post quickly and have updated my reply to show what my file actually looks like.

Where did you learn ntpdate_enable?
I decided to enable the ntpdate system service during installation because of the problems I was having with ntpd. If I do another install of FreeBSD (likely), I will enable local_unbound and not enable ntpdate.

--

I think the point that needs to be made is I did basically everything exactly the same as my previous install that led to a working KDE. I think this point should be helpful in troubleshooting.

I am still confused why your system tries to use the scfb driver. Maybe it's now time for an X.Org configuration file in order to use the modesetting driver.

To do so, create a file /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver.conf with the following content:
Bash:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "My Graphics Card"
  Driver     "modesetting"
EndSection

I am still confused why your system tries to use the scfb driver. Maybe it's now time for an X.Org configuration file in order to use the modesetting driver.

To do so, create a file /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver.conf with the following content:
Bash:
Section "Device"
  Driver     "modesetting"
EndSection
I ran # vi /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver.conf and typed
Code:
Section "Device"
Driver "modesetting"
EndSection
in the file, saved, and rebooted. Same problem.

Should I delete the Xorg configuration file now with # rm /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver.conf?

Not yet, because you should use the modesetting driver rather than scfb. Maybe the problem is now another one.

Please post the complete X.Org log.
To do so, enter cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 and post the URL here.

Not yet, because you should use the modesetting driver rather than scfb. Maybe the problem is now another one.

Please post the complete X.Org log.
To do so, enter cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 and post the URL here.
I ran % cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999. It returned the following URL: <https://termbin.com/jgyy>. Theoretically speaking, could that command make me vulnerable to Log4Shell?

Thanks. In parallel: <https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/time-is-always-wrong.83166/#post-546215>

What's the output from this command?

pkg prime-origins | sort

To help keep topics such as this short, I might delete some of my posts …
I ran % pkg prime-origins | sort. It returned:
Code:
graphics/drm-kmod
ports-mgmt/pkg
www/firefox
x11/kde5
x11/xorg

No, Log4j is a Java library. No Java involved here.

Edit: The X.Org log looks good to me. Please post the contents of .xinitrc located in the home of your regular user.
I ran % view ~/.xinitrc. Here are the contents:
Code:
exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x

Can you spot the error? The last part should read "startplasma-x11" not "startplasma-x". Lest anyone think I'm careless, the reason for the typing error was the battery on my other computer I was using to read the instructions started dying around this time, so I switched over to my phone. My phone cut off the 11 in the "code" on the Forums, thus I didn't type it.

Now excited, I ran # rm /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver.conf to remove the Xorg configuration file mentioned above because I didn't have it in my previous install. Then I ran % vi ~/.xinitrc as a regular user, added the "11", and rebooted. When I logged in again and ran % startx, my KDE desktop appeared as expected.

You fixed it! Thank you so much!

Note, the second of these two lines:

[ 127.440] Build Operating System: FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p5 amd64 [ 127.440] Current Operating System: FreeBSD falcon 13.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE #0 releng/13.0-n244733-ea31abc261f: Fri Apr 9 04:24:09 UTC 2021

It seems that your OS is out of date.
Thanks. I've never updated FreeBSD before. Is it a simple command I run, or should I read up on documentation first?

This thread is now marked as solved. Lest anyone think their attempts at fixing this problem were done in vain (because of my stupid typographical error, which I said shouldn't have been the issue), I would like to just say that all the messages did help me understand troubleshooting commands and techniques, as I am a FreeBSD and Unix noob.

Not to beat a dead horse, but could more knowledgeable people comment on the safety of a command like % cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999? While it probably doesn't make me vulnerable to Log4Shell, I was wondering how secure it is for other exploits -- theoretically (notwithstanding the security concerns that may arise with posting computer output on the WWW, of course). I don't know much about nc and I couldn't find out much about the safety of termbin.com online.

As Erichans mentioned, I do have the book Absolute FreeBSD (I got it the same day I joined the Forums in 2018, and the new 3rd Edition was a factor in making me decide to try FreeBSD). I guess I will have to read up on how to update FreeBSD. I was going to do that anyway; I just thought updating might be as simple as running one or two commands (and maybe it is). I also wanted to share that I just got a new book called Beginning Unix (see attachment absolute-freebsd-beginning-unix-books.jpg), so I'm not such an incorrigible noob in these parts. I've paged through it, and I think anyone else in my position (new to the Unix command line) would find it helpful. In two weeks, I will get How Linux Works; Learning PHP, MySQL & JavaScript; and Fire in the Valley: The Birth and Death of the Personal Computer.

Attachments

• absolute-freebsd-beginning-unix-books.jpg
    absolute-freebsd-beginning-unix-books.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 112
Not to beat a dead horse, but could more knowledgeable people comment on the safety of a command like % cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999?
nc basically sends the output of cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log to termbin.com. termbin.com in return sends you a URL. As long as you don't send sensitive information like passwords it's pretty safe.

nc basically sends the output of cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log to termbin.com. termbin.com in return sends you a URL. As long as you don't send sensitive information like passwords it's pretty safe.
Thanks, and I take it I didn't send any sensitive information? I was hoping to hear from more people and wondering if anyone knew anything else about the safety of nc and/or termbin.com. But then I saw SirDice recently instructed members to run the same command. I suppose that's reasonably assuring.

Back