Solved Xorg error another window manager seems to be running...

Hey guys :)

I am trying to install x11/xorg and x11-wm/i3

CPU/GPU: Intel Core i5-2450M SandyBridge iGPU
Laptop?: yes
Intel Driver: installed (x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel)
i915kms: loaded

x11/xorg error message (using startx as non-root user):

Code:

ERROR: Another window manager seems to be running (X error 10)
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down XIO:  fatal IO error 0 (No error: 0) on X server ":0"
      after 184 requests (184 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

running /bin/ps -A doesn't show any running x11/xorg server

and running /usr/local/bin/i3 gives me obviously this output:

Code:
i3: Cannot open display

Thanks in advance :)

I'm pretty sure you actually DO have one still running. Because that's the only way you can get an error message like this.

• Thanks
Reactions: jdb
Can't find it in the proccess list...

I now did a reboot and logged in as root and I started X and i3 and it worked (just to know if it works)... so maybe it has something to do with permissions?!

When I execute X as a non-root user I simply get a black screen but when I use startx I get the error I already mentioned.

When I execute X as a non-root user I simply get a black screen but when I use startx I get the error I already mentioned.
How did you "execute X", when the proper method to start Xorg it's with startx? For that black screen consult Xorg log, maybe something is missing.

• Thanks
The black screen problem now seems to be gone (I don't know how).

Now when I execute startx as a non-root user I get this output:

Code:
xauth:   file /home/<myusername>/.serverauth.12345 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

That serverauth message usually means X wasn't shut down correctly last time. For example, if I'm running X and reboot, when I next try to startx I get that message. However if I stop X, (for example I use a keyboard shortcut of windows key +q on openbox) and then startx again it's fine. You might want to first remove any $HOME/.xauth files if they exist. Hrrm, don't remember if you should also remove .Xauthority, but if you remove all .xauth files and get the message try it. It shouldn't break anything.

Again, first stop x before rebooting the machine.

• Thanks
It woooorks.... finally :D

I did remove the ~/.Xauthority and the ~/.serverauth.12345 file and checked the ~/.xinitrc file and I didn't saw that I forgot to comment out twm &

After a reboot everything worked fine... :)

Thank you all SirDice , Minbari and scottro for you help

Back