Solved Xorg displaying garbage - macbook pro retina late 2013

I'm having some problems trying to setup x.org properly on a mbp retina late 2013.

So, I've done a pciconf -lv | grep -B3 display, which shows:

vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0: class=...
vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
device = 'GK107M [GeForce GT 750M Mac Edition]'
class = display

Given there was nothing else there, I went with that and installed the nvidia-driver from the x11 ports.
Then, I've added the lines in both loader.conf and rc.conf, as the install prompted me to do so

echo nvidia_load="YES" >> /boot/loader.conf
echo linux_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf

and rebooted (I've red somewhere that x.org wouldn't recognize kldload nvidia - go figure)

After the reboot, I attempted to just run startx, but it complained about not being able to run from framebuffer. So, I did: vi /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-driver and completed it with

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Driver        "nvidia"
    BusID        "1:0:0"
EndSection

Then tried startx, which now does, but it displays garbage and if I try to switch to another vt, well it keeps on displaying garbage:

IMG_5464.jpg

I was wondering what's missing, but it seems that not a lot of people run FreeBSD on macs or that the problems are more or less hardware specific.

Any clues on what should I check next?

EDIT: Browsing through other recent threads, I've noticed that the nvidia driver could be loaded from rc.conf instead of loader.conf. So I did that by removing nvidia_load="YES" from loader.conf and adding kld_list="nvidia-modeset" in rc.conf. Xorg works fine after that.

Back