Xorg: black screen with intel driver

Hi all,

I've freshly installed FreeBSD 7.2 on a Samsung NC10 netbook. I did "Xorg -configure" and tried to test X with the generated xorg.conf.new -- but all I get is a black screen. There's no unusual error messages in Xorg.0.log.
*scratches head*

What should I try?

Thanks in advance!
Clemens

remove xorg.config if you moved it to /etc/X11/
and just try $ startx
in most cases it works

make sure you edit your ~/.xinitrc
add for example exec xterm to see if everything really works

ale said:
Did you read this?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

What do you mean with black screen? Can you go back to a ttyv pressing ctrl+alt+f[1-8]?

Hi,
yes, I can still switch terminals and stop X from the one I started it by pressing Ctrl+C. "Black screen" means that the screen is just black: No check pattern in the background and no mouse cursor; the display's backlight is on. It simply does nothing and doesn't respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del.

killasmurf86 said:
remove xorg.config if you moved it to /etc/X11/
and just try $ startx
in most cases it works

make sure you edit your ~/.xinitrc
add for example exec xterm to see if everything really works

Hi,
no, I didn't move it to /etc/X11. I also tried a simple "startx" (without any config) and it shows me the standard X screen with two terminals (but in vesa mode, I guess). But I want intel, not vesa! ;-)

neon_enlightenment said:
"Black screen" means that the screen is just black: No check pattern in the background and no mouse cursor; the display's backlight is on. It simply does nothing and doesn't respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del.
Welcome to xorg-7.4!

About ctrl+alt+del, read [post=21098]this post[/post]

the 7.2 release has the 7.4 xorg??? frack! i was thinking in moving from linux to freebsd 7.2 and don't upgrade xorg to 7.4, or did you upgrade after install or did a upgrade after the install?

Back