Solved Xorg and vt with FreeBSD 13.0

I just installed FreeBSD 13.0 on an old thinkpad X61. I previously had 12.2. After installing Xorg and Openbox I also included kern.vty=vt in the /boot/loader.conf file. However, when I check Xorg.0.log X starts in modsetting mode VESA, and it does not recognize vt. So, when I leave X, I can't see any writing on the console. I tried using the intel driver xf86-video-intel, but then it gives me and error saying "no devices found." How do I get the vt driver to work in modesetting? Thanks.

You don't need to set kern.vty, this is the default and has been for quite some time.

However, when I check Xorg.0.log X starts in modsetting mode VESA, and it does not recognize vt.
It's not supposed to, vt(4) is a console driver, not an Xorg driver.

How do I get the vt driver to work in modesetting?
If you want the modesetting driver install graphics/drm-kmod (make sure to read the pkg-message).

You don't need to set kern.vty, this is the default and has been for quite some time.

It's not supposed to, vt(4) is a console driver, not an Xorg driver.

If you want the modesetting driver install graphics/drm-kmod (make sure to read the pkg-message).
Sorry, SirDice. I think I was misunderstood. vt should be the console driver. And, when you leave the Xorg session it should redraw text to the screen. But, it doesn't. It's just blank. And I can't get the screen to reset. This is true if I try to go to another virtual terminal like ctrl+alt+F2. Normally the screen redraws when exiting X. Suggestions?

P.S. I prefer not to use modesetting.

Back