Xorg.0.log and dmesg are faultlessly but X gives a black screen only

pastebin.com is better for posting configuration files. They don't have to be downloaded and uncompressed.

Did you change make.conf before rebuilding xorg-server? This time you have 1.7.7.

...hmm, you're using Clang. That is not proven for ports yet (I think).

Code:
Section "Device"
    # This is for radeondriver
	# Radeon 2600 XT (RV 630)
	Identifier	"ATI Graphics Adapter"
	Driver		"ati"
	Option		"DRI"					"on"
	#Option		"AGPSize"				"16"
	#Option		"AGPMode"				"4"
	#Option		"DDCMode"				"true"
	#Option		"GARTSize"				"256"
EndSection
I think you should try the radeon(4x)() driver for this one, or try vesa(4x)() (which is the generic driver).

The dpkg command in the header seems out of place. Using old saved xorg.conf files from other computers, different OS (Linux), or different versions of X.Org, will not necessarily work.

In case you haven't already, you should follow the FreeBSD Handbook, and first create the new file with # Xorg -configure, which scans for your hardware and creates an X.Org configuration file /root/xorg.conf.new. Then you use # Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new -retro to test your file, and see if the hardware was guessed correctly (in your case mouse and keyboard).

After you have done these steps, and confirmed that everything is working, you move on to installing x11/xdm, which you then test again, and then, when you see that twm is working, you can install x11-wm/xfce4. This way is easier to determine where the problem lies.

You should follow the Handbook even if you know about these things. It's very well documented, and we don't have to configure X.Org often, so it's natural that we gradually forget it.

wblock@ said:
...hmm, you're using Clang. That is not proven for ports yet (I think).
Some ports fail, but so far I've only had to switch back to gcc-4.2 when I was building multimedia/x264, audio/nas and anything that has gstreamer in its name. The system seems all in all stable and I don't think there are many remaining false positives in the ports tree.

ati is a combined driver. It will select one of three drivers based on the hardware, one of which is radeon. So it ends up being radeon anyway.

I seem to recall seeing something about problems with ports with clang(1), and I think it was about the Xorg ports. Just because it compiles does not mean it works correctly, and debugging it a process of eliminating possible problems. So I would comment out the clang(1) entries in make.conf and at least rebuild xorg-server.

Don't be sorry--it's great that you solved it, and this thread could help others with the same problem. Thanks for your patience!

Back