Solved XFCE4 desktop disappears after a few logins

So I am tinkering around with XFCE4 on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE. I really like XFCE4, and am finding it more responsive than KDE. (I'll probably write a post on that later if I don't find any recent discussion.)

Anyway my issue is simple: after a while, when I launch XFCE4 using startx the GUI loads up, but the desktop is black. The home, file system and trash icons are gone, as is the blue screen with the mouse. I try to launch "desktop settings" but nothing happens. If I delete my user account and recreate it, all is good for a while.

I don't see a pattern yet that tells me when/where its breaking, just than it seems to happen after a few logins.

Anyone know about this, and where I should look, and how to fix it permanently.

Thanks again,
P.M.

So I am tinkering around with XFCE4 on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE. I really like XFCE4, and am finding it more responsive than KDE. (I'll probably write a post on that later if I don't find any recent discussion.)

Anyway my issue is simple: after a while, when I launch XFCE4 using startx the GUI loads up, but the desktop is black. The home, file system and trash icons are gone, as is the blue screen with the mouse. I try to launch "desktop settings" but nothing happens. If I delete my user account and recreate it, all is good for a while.

I don't see a pattern yet that tells me when/where its breaking, just than it seems to happen after a few logins.

Anyone know about this, and where I should look, and how to fix it permanently.

Thanks again,
P.M.

Firstly, .xinitrc file must be created. x11-wm/xfce4-session provides this one (see in /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/ directory).

Code:
cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
chmod u+x .xinitrc

In this file, you can also define your locale settings ( LANG and LC_CTYPE).

Remove .config/, .local/, and .cache/ directories (you're going to create new clean session).

Then run startx.

Back