xfce4 and X11 configuration

Hi all,

I recently installed FreeBSD. Things went well.

I then tried to install X11 using ports but that failed. I ran gnome_something_alyzer (sorry cannot remember the app name here :) to try and see what was the problem. That application reported the problem was unknown.

I then cleaned X11 from my system using #Make clean and installed X11 as well as xfce4 using packages (pkg_add). That worked except I had warnings to the effect that the packages were using some older libraries versions than what I had on my system.

Anyway, I was able to build a good xorg.conf file using #Xorg -configure and making adjustment to the generated file. I know my config file is ok because when I run #Xorg -config xorg.conf.new I get the proper behavior: some dark/grayish screen with my mouse pointer working and when I hit ctrl-alt-bksp then X11 closes gracefully and I am back in console mode with no errors.

I then copied my xorg config file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Now when I #startx things go to hell. I can see the xfce4 desktop but my computer freezes and even reboots by itself sometimes. I don't know what xfce4 does. I know the system uses my xorg.conf file - I checked it by starting X11 with an empty .xinitrc. So what is wrong?

My video card is a Radeon HD 3870 and is detected properly. I read in /var/log/X11.something.0.something that support for the r600 chipset is experimental but I think I should be able to use X11 on my system, am I mistaken?

Also, xfce4 seems to change the resolution and choose the first one in my xorg.conf file. Is there a way to force it to start at a certain resolution - maybe a setting in ~/.config/xfce4/.../settings.xml? I think the system crashes when xfce4 switch resolutions....

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Bateleur said:
Also, xfce4 seems to change the resolution and choose the first one in my xorg.conf file. Is there a way to force it to start at a certain resolution - maybe a setting in ~/.config/xfce4/.../settings.xml? I think the system crashes when xfce4 switch resolutions...
There's a rather simple solution for this. Just remove all the extra resolutions from xorg.conf :e

Back