Solved XFCE4.10 Dialog/Thunar hang

Good evening,

FreeBSD 10-STABLE, x64. NVidia GTX-660, 340.46.

Xfce4 has a weird behaviour that is common between two different machines on completely different hardware. So in my simplistic logic, it seems to be an issue within Xfce. I am looking for a workaround.

When I use Thunar it occasionally just locks up, and I can't see files in directories. Sometimes it happens when I am simply navigating a directory tree. When I use the XFE file manager, no such hang occurs.

Various dialog boxes will also hang, example: Thunderbird, create an email, then attempt to put an attachment on it; the resulting dialog box to select your attachment hangs. Diffuse (a GUI diff application) also has the same behaviour when the dialog opens for you to choose your file(s) for comparison.

I see several posts here that are all around my issue, but not specifically my issue, as best I see. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look? What I am missing? How do I get around this?

One machine is a Gigabyte Desktop, the other is an Asus laptop. I see the same behaviour in both.

Help as always, will be appreciated!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Do you use Samba or NFS? Thunar has a GVFS option for network filesystems which might cause an apparent delay. It's disabled here, and I've never seen any hangs in Thunar or Diffuse. I have not used Thunderbird in a long time, though.

Thank you wblock@ for your reply.

I deleted every vestige of Xfce 4 with pkg delete <pkg name>, then removed the configurations from the ports by navigating into each specific port and issuing a sudo make rmconfig, followed by a rebuild of Xfce 4 with portmaster --force-config. I disallowed gvfs in Thunar's configuration. It was the only place it was listed. Also, I do not use Samba nor NFS on my workstation nor on the Asus laptop I am about to throw through the window. Unfortunately the issue remains.

It appears that when a program asks for a file dialog box, specifically a file open dialog box is where it hangs. It's not slow but hangs. Hangs means still being stuck after five minutes. This behaviour is on the laptop (which I was incorrectly blaming on the Intel video driver), and also on my desktop with the proprietary NVidia driver.

The laptop is the "purest" environment. I changed out the drive yesterday and put in an SSD. It is bare bones at this point with just base and Xfce 4, all built from ports. So the chances of some other port interfering with Xfce is nil on the laptop.

Any other ideas on what to look for?

Thanks!

Dave

SOLVED! Solved on both machines.

It was an issue in gtk itself. Specifically gtk2-2.24.25. This morning came a new version: gtk2-2.24.25_1. This was released in ports sometime between 0200 23-Nov-2014 and 10:00 24-Nov-2014.

I found it by sudo portsnap fetch update, followed by sudo portmaster -adB and there was the new library. I updated the port, and my issues vanished. I know it was an issue in the old library, as I just rebuilt all my ports last night with sudo portmaster -adfB.

Thanks to all for your assistance,

Dave

Back