Solved XFCE won't let me log out anymore

Hey there forums, you've been a help to me a couple of times already, I hope I won't get dissapointed this time,

now, I've been working on this for at least 6 hours by now and I really don't like bothering people with my issues, but here goes nothing. Since the last re-install of FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE on my Lenovo IdeaPad 320S, XFCE refuses to log out. When using the drop-down menu supplied by the "Actions" panel, I get the error message:

Failed to run action "Log out..."
GDBus.Error:örg.xfce.SessionManager.Error.Failed: Session manager must be in an idle state when requesting a shutdown.

Using the log out function found in the Applications Menu / Whisker Menu I get the following message:

Recieved error while trying to log out
GDBus.Error:örg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Type of message, '(yb)', does not match expected type '(b)'

My suspicison by then was that Dbus simply wasn't playing nice once again. Upon looking into the error logs, I can see that...

Failed to connect to tbhe session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols are supported and host-based authentication failed

Skipping lightdm, starting xfce via. startx directly, and looking into the console, I get...

GDBus.Error:örg.xfce.SessionManager.Error.Failed: Session manager must be in an idle state when requesting a shutdown.
xfce4-session-WARNING **: 00:21:11.901: ICE Connection 0x802358580 rejected

Surfing all different kinds of forums, including Debian and Arch Linux Forums, I've tried everything from trying different display managers, deleting configs and recreating them, different users, updated policies and cleared sessions. Nothing worked. For no reason, really. I've done everything excactly the same as I did all the other times when I set up BSD on this laptop, now I just had to reformat because foo and now XFCE bitches around. Any form of help is appreciated, in the time I've spent on trying to fix this, I've might just as well written my own window manager.

Edit: Please ignore the Ös, it's just so the forums' software doesn't change it to an emojicon

Sadly cant' help you with this but your suspicion that DBus is at fault is most probably right. DBus is always at fault... I really wonder why the developers of those DEs don't at least include an option to delegate the needed privilege escalation to doas, sudo or even just suid. I doubt there is more than a couple cases where this is absolutely needed and DBus tends to often times result in hard to debug problems. Seems like kind of a bad tradeoff to me.

To get the error on the track. You have reinstalled FreeBSD, what was your steps to setup the XFCE desktop?

Normally just installing xfce & xorg and set dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf is sufficient for a small working xfce desktop by starting it from startxfce4.

To get the error on the track. You have reinstalled FreeBSD, what was your steps to setup the XFCE desktop?

Normally just installing xfce and set dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf is sufficient for a small working xfce desktop by starting it from startxfce4.
Indeed you don't need the global messagebus to be able to start XFCE and just logout at all, as the session will start it own messagebus process itself, of course you can't reboot/shutdown without the global messagebus running. I think it's about a broken package. The OP should consider a bug report. dbus have never failed me on FreeBSD. From the error message it seemed the problem to be with ICE (Inter-Client Exchange protocol).

Normally just installing xfce & xorg and set dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf is sufficient for a small working xfce desktop by starting it from startxfce4.

That's what I actually have tried, in fact, I tried using no display manager whatsoever, lightdm, slim, heck even sddm and gdm. The installation was as small as possible, I only put the drm-kmod drivers for the iGPU on, so x.org could start in the first place, then I installed xfce4. Nothing else, really. I'm really confused as I cannot reproduce the issue in a virtual machine. DBus was enabled.

That's what I actually have tried, in fact, I tried using no display manager whatsoever, lightdm, slim, heck even sddm and gdm. The installation was as small as possible, I only put the drm-kmod drivers for the iGPU on, so x.org could start in the first place, then I installed xfce4. Nothing else, really. I'm really confused as I cannot reproduce the issue in a virtual machine. DBus was enabled.

What about using no drm driver?

Back