XFCE menu and keyboard status indicator

Hi,

I have solved menu for xfce4 but now I face another problem, keyboard status indicator.
I use shift-alt key combination as a language switcher from english to thai and in order to know which language I am using now I need to have some indicator for it.

xfce4-xkb-plugin comes in now and it sits on the panel.

When I start X via startx and have xfce4-session inside .xinitrc , I can not use menu but language indicator is shown nicely and correctly. But when I start X via startxfce4, I have menus but language indicator looks very strange. It shows (null) for thai both in text and graphic, flags.

Any hints or helps are welcome and if you need more informations I can provide later.

• Thanks
Reactions: rsp
wblock said:
Use startxfce4 inside your .xinitrc.. It may help to show the contents of that file.
oh many thanks, here is my .xinitrc. file
Code:
[wmc] ~# cat /home/pirat/.xinitrc.xfce4-session 
#!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/local/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/local/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then

xrdb -merge $sysresources

fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then

xrdb -merge "$userresources"

fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
    xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

# start some nice programs

xhost +

exec xfce4-session

#twm &
#xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
#xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
#xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
#exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
[wmc] ~#

This is very strange indeed and once again many thanks for your times.

You should not need all that, startxfce4 should do it for you. Also, be careful about the filename, it's just .xinitrc in the user's home directory.
Code:
xhost +
exec startxfce4
You might need to set some additional things for language support before the last line.

.xinitrc is used when you run startx(1). If you use x11/xdm, .xsession is used instead.

wblock said:
You should not need all that, startxfce4 should do it for you. Also, be careful about the filename, it's just .xinitrc in the user's home directory.
Code:
xhost +
exec startxfce4
You might need to set some additional things for language support before the last line.

.xinitrc is used when you run startx(1). If you use x11/xdm, .xsession is used instead.

Hi,

I give up to my situation now. At home there is no problem but the same machine in the office, it revert back to the original, with (null), one.

There must be some thing strange in my machine which I do not know. Many thanks indeed for your times, for your hints and for your great helps.

Back