Solved Xfce loops back to login - the long story

Pkg got updated last night to 1.16.1 and a lot of packages in system got upgraded, after it's installed I restarted it suspecting it won't load to the desktop again which it did. The original issue is the KDE plasma desktop session won't load as logging into sddm, the screen turned off completely not even the backlight is on. I reinstalled the packages in single user thinking to see if it's just that and clear the my profile by removing .cache .kde4 .local .config and tried a different user which it did the same thing. I checked the message log and states that the GPU has hung from the drm kernel, a few hour went by so I just tried to use a different desktop environment to see if that changes anything. I installed XFCE, tried to boot into it and X gave me:

Code:
scfb trace: probe start
scfb trace: probe done
[intel_init_bufmgr: 1936] Kernel 3.9 required
xinit: connection to X Server lost

waiting for X server to shutdown (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
Code:

What I can get from this machine is that my driver i915kms doesn't seem to be working with X11 base from the kernel it wants.

I'm just going to use another machine at this point and going back to Windows for awhile until I'm able to dissect more of what I can find.

**I corrected my rc.conf file and XFCE is now showing its login manager but slim kept looping back to itself.

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
I am running Freebsd 12.1-release-p11, previous times I've run it they were telling me to update to p12 but I don't think it's related to what I'm going through. If I wanted to upgrade I don't think p12 is supported on amd64 as the message seems to read.

I'm able to start XFCE when running off from single user mode but the mouse don't work after copying xinitrc to the home directory and wrote the file from the handbook, I am looking to see what else could be going on.

There's actually a couple of mistakes I made along the way, slim didn't execute the command of startxfce4 correctly as the xinitrc filed I copied was owned by root so normal user can't execute that command. I was reading through different forums trying out their solution. Another thing I wanted to point out is there have been various commands that people put into the xinitrc file and the one that I put is: exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4.Now Xfce is working on my machine the moment I got xfce4 to start successfully was when I had to remove login manager so I can read the output of my command.

I don't think I can make a recovery for KDE as it's giving out drm gpu hung error but one thing I noticed is that the desktop did load as I can hear my browser playing sound but nothing on the screen, there's not much I can go on so I"ll just assume there's a bug in KDE that causes GPU to hang when it got upgraded because considering that it suddenly behaves this way without any modification to the system files would make me believe so.

Last edited:
Back