Solved Xfce console output

On FreeBSD 12.1 I have installed Xfce 4.14 and it does run quite well but there is something that irks me.

Because I want to run X as an user instead of root, I don't use a graphical display manager - to start X I use the startx command and there is the thing that prompted me to open this thread: every time when I log out from Xfce to console, the console is full of messages from various GUI parts, such as Xfce itself and other apps.

It's just an annoyance but I would like to get rid of those messages. It's possible to suppress this output from GUI on console?

I have had this same issue and although I don't remember the exact answer when I asked, it is essentially: some of these are debug messages and there isn't anything you can do, other than as roper suggested. That will mask legitimate messages though so keep that in mind. You can do a I did and attempt to see if there are any actual error messages and resolve them one by one.

Or use a login manager and stick your head in the sand 🤣

roper: thanks, will try.

Sevendogsbsd: well, there are just too many messages and they're truncated so how I'm supposed solve these errors? I will try roper's solution and if it works, all is good. If not, then I can live with these.
I would use a login manager if it meets some conditions: to be customizable and to start the X session as an user, not root.

I only know of two potential candidates: xenodm and gdm3 - both of them start X as an user - but xenodm is OpenBSD-specific and I don't know if it's customizable and gdm3 is definitely not customizable and cannot really be used in other DEs since it has a lot of Gnome dependencies.

I am not advocating a login manager, just actually making a joke :) I don't like login managers and prefer your method of startx.They can be difficult to diagnose for sure. Not sure where they end up either: in a file or just the screen so you'd have to get them into a file to copy and search for them in a browser. That's what I did. Having said all that, I have never used a desktop environment in FreeBSD so my messages were not verbose, except for ones generated by a browser.

I'm going to mark this thread as Solved because roper's solution (first variant) worked - the console is completely silent now when I log out from Xfce. I created an alias for startx to use it with these arguments.
Many thanks.

Back