[XFCE] Anyone know how to make KDE4 apps work in Xfce4?

Greetings,

I've been using Xfce4 for quite some time now, and never had any trouble with KDE3 applications. But after an upgrade of ports, I'm forced to use KDE4. But if I now start up k3b, the windows don't work right, and if I resize them, everything is garbled, or there's nothing at all. If I switch consoles with CTRL+ALT+F1, the following error is showing:
Code:
  Resource id:  0x0
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
Any thoughts/experiences?

UPDATE: There are also references to these problems mentioned in thread: [Solved] Problem rendering windows on KDE

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--chris

[Solved] Anyone know how to make KDE4 apps work in Xfce4?

SOLVED.

As per suggestions in the thread: Problem rendering windows on KDE, from both @Symbiosis, and @cpu82. I was able to reconcile the problem. I had to adjust the value of kern.ipc.shmall. Performing: sysctl kern.ipc | grep kern.ipc.shm, revealed:
Code:
kern.ipc.shmall: 8192
kern.ipc.shmseg: 128
kern.ipc.shmmni: 192
kern.ipc.shmmin: 1
kern.ipc.shmmax: 33554432
By adding a setting to /etc/sysctl.conf, as follows:
Code:
kern.ipc.shmall=65536
and bouncing the box (rebooting). When I started X, and then k3b. Everything worked as it should. :)

Please note; it was not a requirement to reboot the system to perform this task. I could have adjusted this value from the CLI, as follows: sysctl kern.ipc.shmall=65536. More information regarding these values, and sysctl(8), and sysctl.conf(5) can be found in their respective man(1) pages. :)

Best wishes, and thanks to @cpu82, and @Symbiosis.

--chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Back