xfce 4.10 release is out!

Definitely looking forward to trying XFCE and thanks for working on the port.

At least under STABLE-9.0 (built this morning), I'm getting

Code:
===>  squeeze-0.2.3_2 cannot install: Unknown component thunarvfs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/archivers/squeeze

This was this afternoon with using the script from the linked mailing list announcement and mercurial to obtain the code.

It is a pretty clean system (portmaster, portaudit, bash, bash-completion, emacs, xauth) and the "default" configuration options were selected.

Any suggestions?

Edit -- x11-fm/thunar does have GVFS set

It also looks like there are some "stale" patches that the target can't be found for. Deleting them seems to allow the build to continue (after disabling the option for squeeze).

From x11-wm/xfce4-session:
  • patch-xfce4-session_xfsm-shutdown-helper.c

From x11-wm/xfce-wm:
  • patch-doc_manual_images_Makefile.in
  • patch-doc_manual_images_it_Makefile.in

Has the situation with non-working automount of removable media been solved in 4.10, or is it still broken as in 4.8?

Has the situation with non-working automount of removable media been solved in 4.10, or is it still broken as in 4.8?
Still broken. This is really something that must be fixed as fast as possible.

I would much rather have an old but fully working 4.6 than a brand new but broken 4.10. If features are removed, this really should have become a fork. The automounting feature is among some of my only reasons for using a full DE rather than just a WM.

kpedersen said:
I would much rather have an old but fully working 4.6 than a brand new but broken 4.10. If features are removed, this really should have become a fork. The automounting feature is among some of my only reasons for using a full DE rather than just a WM.

I'm just curious, what are the other reasons? Automounting sure is not a good reason to use full DE for. I'm just asking since I can never get myself to use anything other than simple WM, and yet I constantly try out new DE to see if I'll like it. That usually lasts about five minutes after which I conclude that it is still bloated crap :).

bbzz said:
I'm just curious, what are the other reasons?.

You're right, the reasons do not outweigh the pain of using a full DE.

Most of my reasons stem from "because most other people do" so when I write software, I can test it works with a typical desktop. However with the rate that DEs break, this is becoming less and less of a reason lol.

vatson said:
The only problem is that now I've lost my main excuse for trying something other than xfce for a change :)
How about.. "Because Xfce will break just like gnome 3 and it is only a matter of time.. so keep your options open to be able to jump the sinking ship and stay productive" ? ;)

I'm just curious, what are the other reasons?
  1. No need to write/change commands on .xinitrc file and restart Xserver to just change a wallpaper.
  2. No need to resize the wallpaper to be right shown on my desktop.
  3. No need to play with .Xdefaults file just to change transparency on terminal.
  4. No need to play with *WM files just to change theme, fonts etc.
  5. You have icons on desktop and and easy add/remove them without playing with files.
  6. Also I use a lot "Download on Desktop".
  7. You can have compiz (I don't use it but other people use it)
  8. I prefer cairo clock for clock.
  9. Shutdown, Restart, suspend, hibernate, logout, are just buttons. No commands every time.
  10. Keyboard, mouse and a lot of other settings are not "change the configuration file".
  11. You can have widgets like superkaramba, gdesklets etc.
  12. You can have transparency effects when you move a window etc.
  13. Almost every computer this days have enough memory to run them.
So. I am not against wm. Me too I run *wm and I like fluxbox, opencde, twm and dwm. Just I believe that for my deskop xfce is better solution. Is desktop. When I want to change wallpaper witch is something I do very often, is no need to resize the wallpaper, change the path on .xinitrc and restart Xserver. I can do it in the 1/4 of time and much more easy :D

I am big fan of running only a WM and other needed components, so I will 'address' these 'issues' ;)

[*]No need to write/change commands on .xinitrc file and restart Xserver to just change a wallpaper.
To add something to system/WM/DE startup, You have to edit ~/.xinitrc or 'click-all-the-way' in some graphical app to add another thing to startup, similar effort here, I would even say that ~/.xinitrc is simpler and faster, but thats for me. As for wallpaper, I run random_wallpaper.sh at ~/.xinitrc, so everytime I boot I have different wallpaper (random from ~/gfx/wallpapers). Dunno if each DE has an option for random wallpaper at start.

[*]No need to resize the wallpaper to be right shown on my desktop.
Its 2012 mate, I do not know an application that DOES NOT scale wallpaper to the screen size, I use feh for that.

[*]No need to play with .Xdefaults file just to change transparency on terminal.
That depends what You use, if its xterm/urxvt, then no matter if You use DE or WM, You still HAVE to edit it, if You use LXTerminal or other 'graphical' terminal, then no matter if You use DE or WM, its clickable in both.

[*]No need to play with *WM files just to change theme, fonts etc.
Probably not all WMs provide wrappers for that, but Openbox does have graphical GTK2 wrappers for that, like obmenu and obconf and some others.

[*]You have icons on desktop and and easy add/remove them without playing with files.
Many WM users have icons on the desktop, its as hard as launching nautilus or pcmanfm with desktop, its the same as in 'full' DE.

[*]Also I use a lot "Download on Desktop".
Personal habbit, will not comment on that ;)

[*]You can have compiz (I don't use it but other people use it)
Do You still are amazed by 'wobby windows' or just need to be productive? :)

[*]I prefer cairo clock for clock.
Cairo-dock can work the same way launched with WM as in full DE.

[*]Shutdown, Restart, suspend, hibernate, logout, are just buttons. No commands every time.
When did You last hibernate Your FreeBSD? :)

Its also a simple wrapper, can be written in py-GTK2 for example, its just 4 buttons with 'links' to commands, fully achievable with WM.

[*]Keyboard, mouse and a lot of other settings are not "change the configuration file".
For the keyboard, its probably more convenient to use system tray application that will change the keyboard layout on the fly the launching some keyboard configurator for it, these graphical configurations also only use xset to change the settings, so add them to You WM and You have that option too. Also, I do not remember when I last changes my mouse sensitivity or speed, probably when I change hardware, if You change hardware a lot, that can be useful feature.

[*]You can have widgets like superkaramba, gdesklets etc.
Same as in WM.

[*]You can have transparency effects when you move a window etc.
Same as in WM, but sometimes requires transset-df or other stuff.

[*]Almost every computer this days have enough memory to run them.
Today its more about having some annoying parts of the DE that You do not use, for example You like xfwm4 because of new Windows Aero Snap features, but feel that nautilus just better suits You, just an example.

So. I am not against wm. Me too I run *wm and I like fluxbox, opencde, twm and dwm. Just I believe that for my deskop xfce is better solution. Is desktop.

Using WM is not about editing every configuration file by hand, or using only a bere WM and pretending its fun. Its about CONSCIOUSLY CHOOSING every part of Your 'DE', not only just a WM, the file manager, then settings manager (lxappearance), then taskbars (I use conky + tint2 + lxpanel for example). Using WM is about building Your WM piece by piece to finaly make You happy and more productive, if You do not know what You want, here, take a full DE, its all there.

When I want to change wallpaper witch is something I do very often, is no need to resize the wallpaper, change the path on .xinitrc and restart Xserver. I can do it in the 1/4 of time and much more easy :D
To change a wallpaper I only have to click one button on my lxpanel and then a new random wallpaper from ~/gfx/wallpapers is set up, of course scaled to both of my screens. If I have to change X11 screens layout, I use arandr if You ask ;)

Thanks for saving me time. Again, nothing he mentioned is something a simple WM can't do.

I don't get the problem of changing wallpaper on the fly, you just need feh.

And compiz is a WM which can be run as a standalone, btw.

I think the major issue with DE for me is the fact that I use terminal for everything. Even things like unzipping, copying, watching videos, listening to music, etc, I do in terminal. All my shortcuts are either aliases or functions in ~/.zshrc. So by the end of the day I end up with several open terminals and desire to go back to my tiling WM.

Desire to look at something flashy lasts about 3 minutes, after which I realize nothing beats functionality.
Also, no icons is sexy.

bbzz said:
I don't get the problem of changing wallpaper on the fly, you just need feh.

More about wallpapers' topic ;)

% crontab -l | grep wall
Code:
0,30 *   * * * ~/scripts/random_wallpaper.sh ~/gfx/wallpapers

Back