XenForo forum software a tad confusing

The URL forums.freebsd.or/forums is plural but there is only one forum. The https://xenforo.com/community/ example is fuzzy about the meaning of the word forum. It says that a forum could have forums which I think are sections or categories.

I am only familiar with the phpBB which I used to admin. It allowed one to set up several forums with independent URLs. For example, there could be a forum for users and another for developers. They are linked only for the admin. At least, thats what I remember.

It allowed one to set up several forums with independent URLs
Those are sites, each site can have its own forums. This site (forums.freebsd.org) has multiple sections and each section has multiple forums.

This site (forums.freebsd.org) has multiple sections and each section has multiple forums.
Yes, that's what I find confusing. XenForo says you can define your own structure. However, they seem to have run out of words to describe their product so sections and categories are called forums. A forum within a forum would not be a sensible structure for usability.

So would say, "it's only semantics". But I say, without semantics, words are just noises and scribbles. :)

Others are calling it subforums. But it's still a forum, just another name for it. So this site is a collection of subforums.

Back