xen XEN, PVH domU, PVHGRUB supported? + HVM mode ISO file.

Hello,

I'm newbie in FreeBSD and xen. I would like to use FreeBSD (13.1) as PVH dom0 and PVH domUs too.
PVH domU in DirectKernel mode works well.

Anybody could boot in PVH mode with grub2 inside domU?

I ask it because I tried to build PVH Grub2 image (grub-i386-xen_pvh.bin), but I'm not able to start FreeBSD installer ISO image.
During domU boot I get grub2 console and it seems that my grub2 build doesn't contain kfreebsd or chainloader commands just linux+initrd. https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#NetBSD
If I use: linux /boot/loader or linux /boot/kernel/kernel commands I get "invalid magic number".
I used this link to build pvhgrub: https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_4.12_RC_test_instructions

Additionally I tried to start a freebsd domU in HVM mode, but I can't attach the iso installation file I get this error: "qemu-system-i386: failed to create 'qdisk' device '5632': no dev parameter"
Related cfg file section:
Code:
# Disk Devices
disk = [
'/xen_guests/freebsd.iso,,xvdc,cdrom',
'/dev/zvol/zroot/guest2,raw,xvda,rw'
#'tap:tapdisk:aio:/xen_guests/freebsd.iso,xvdb,r'
#'/xen_guests/freebsd.iso,,hdc,cdrom'
]

I don't use Xen (used it a long time ago with Linux though), so I can't offer specific help here.

But, just in case: Do you need any Xen features bhyve can't offer? Just because IMHO, bhyve with some tooling (I like sysutils/vm-bhyve) is pretty easy to use. If this doesn't fit your bill, just ignore my post ;)

I don't use Xen (used it a long time ago with Linux though), so I can't offer specific help here.

But, just in case: Do you need any Xen features bhyve can't offer? Just because IMHO, bhyve with some tooling (I like sysutils/vm-bhyve) is pretty easy to use. If this doesn't fit your bill, just ignore my post ;)
I can't answer to this question because I'm newbie in virtualisation and I don't know what features will I need in the future :).
I have two Debian serves at different VPS and I going to replace they to my microserver running freeBSD on it (this is the plan). So my microserver is a play ground yet.
Thank you for your suggestion and I going to check bhyve and will try it!

Back