Solved XDM and ConsoleKit actions

Hello,

When logging in from XDM, I can't get LXQt power buttons (suspend, shutdown, reboot) to work, they're greyed out.

When logging in from LightDM, they work out of the box without any configuration needed.

When starting the desktop with startx, they work as expected, given that I run ConsoleKit with ck-launch-session (otherwise they're greyed out too):

~/.xinitrc
Code:
[...]
ck-launch-session startlxqt

The same line in ~/.xsession for XDM doesn't have the expected effect, buttons are still greyed out.

What am I doing wrong?

I have previously noticed that the ~/.xsession lines start with an 'exec'. I don't know whether this is relevant.

exec means "replace the currently running process with the following" so if you have
exec ck-launch-session startlxqt
exec twm

the second exec probably never gets execute.

OP have you looked at creating an "autostart" for your window manager/DE doing that command? There could be an issue with the way XDM calls your .xsession and the way LightDM calls .xession.

OP have you looked at creating an "autostart" for your window manager/DE doing that command? There could be an issue with the way XDM calls your .xsession and the way LightDM calls .xession.
I'm not sure to understand your suggestion: do you mean adding ck-launch-session as a command automatically run by LXQt when it starts? I tried this and it doesn't work.

With or without exec doesn't make a difference.

Any other idea? Otherwise I'll file a PR.

Doesn't sound smart now but my solution was (when i had such an issue its gone now since years), replacing every no with an yes in /usr/local/share/polkit-1/action/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy.

It would be recommended to test each lever individually to find out the exact needed lever.

I noticed another issue, which may be related:

When logging in from XDM, /usr/local/sbin isn't included in my PATH. Commands residing there aren't found unless the full path is typed.
No problem with /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/local/bin.
Is this the case for other XDM users here? Any idea why?

I can circumvent this by setting PATH in my ~/.profile, as suggested in that file itself:
# These are normally set through /etc/login.conf. You may override them here
# if wanted.
# PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:$HOME/bin; export PATH
This of course fixes the path for myself but doesn't solve the ConsoleKit problem.

However, XDM itself not having proper access to commands in /usr/local/sbin could be relevant to the issue.
Especially with such commands located there:
ck-log-system-restart ck-log-system-start ck-log-system-stop console-kit-daemon

Alexander88207 thanks for the tip, I tried turning that file into a Jasager but couldn't notice a change. Do you still use XDM?

Keep things neat by only adding / modifying only ~/.xinitrc & do a ln -s .xinitrc .xsession
I use OpenBox with XDM for login. So my .xinitrc contains:
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session openbox-session
This works as intended, as far as I know. As for your logout/exit/reboot/shutdown buttons issue, I have no idea, I don't use lxqt. I use bsdlogoutmgr or nwgbar from nwg-launchers for handling logout/reboot/shutdown.

As for your logout/exit/reboot/shutdown buttons issue
I actually found out its cause while trying to solve a similar problem with SDDM and Plasma: you need security.bsd.see_other_uids=1 for it to work.

Back