x11/mate cannot be found via pkg-install

I tried to install Mate desktop environment, and run pkg install mate

It says,
Code:
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'mate' have been found in the repositories.

For now I installed as follows, and Mate works fine. pkg install -g 'mate-'

gucharmap builds corretly for me, but i had to do three things,
1. use the main branch version instead of quarterly
2. set options HAN & NLS for textproc/UCD
3. set options HAN & NLS for deskutils/gucharmap

The x11/mate version 1.26.0 package is also presently available if you switch from quarterly to latest.

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

You can make your own repos containing stable package sets using pkg-fetch(8) to work around these kinds of temporary inconveniences. Or you can just wait for the problem to get fixed; probably a few days at worst.

Which leads me to the questions:

1. What is an exp-run?
2. Why can't you use the regular packages for it?

Exp runs are just testing if the packages are building or not. For example if glib gets an update then an exp-run will go to see if some packages will fail. If some packages will fail then they will be patched for example. This prevents the most early damage for critical packages that can break easily through a version bump of an specific library.

My trick is the following, remove & copy over these few ports from main-branch into the quarterly-branch.
For git pull command i use then "git pull --rebase --autostash" on the modified quarterly branch.

Thanks everyone.

From the view of a developer who sometimes uses FreeBSD casually,

1. I hope x11/mate is always available!
2. I hope a message like 'x11/mate is skipped b/c deskutils/gucharmap failed to build'. The current message sounds like x11/mate is removed, and cannot be found.

… to latest. …𠉧

👍

Latest in latest: <http://beefy16.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=130amd64-default&build=420387d97886#built>

a message like 'x11/mate is skipped b/c deskutils/gucharmap failed to build'.

<http://beefy14.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=130amd64-quarterly&build=62142f93004d#skipped> (latest in quarterly):

1637525521363.png

Experimental builds

From Policies of the Ports Management Team | The FreeBSD Project:

… portmgr also runs periodic builds of proposed large changes to the Ports Collection on a dedicated area of the automated ports building cluster. These are termed experimental builds (often referred to as "exp-runs"). …

1. I hope x11/mate is always available!
Frustratingly these desktops have a *lot* of (too many!) moving parts in terms of package dependencies and are very fragile.
If you find it breaks in future, perhaps try Latest, Quarterly and then Release packages. Usually one of them has it working.

Indeed many times a working one sits in the queue.
Mate compiles without any problem on "quarterly" for me.
But the failing ports i copied over from "main", something like maximum 5 ports

Back