x11-fonts/terminus-font not detected by X after configuring.

• Thread starter Deleted member 70846
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 70846

I've recently installed FreeBSD 13.1 on my desktop computer. I haven't used X on FreeBSD beyond the default twm setup before, but configuring it is nearly-identical to configuring X on other BSDs and Linux, fortunately.

Here's the output of uname:
Code:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD $(hostname) 13.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE releng/13.1-n250148-fc952ac2212 GENERIC amd64

I've run into a bit of trouble with managing fonts on X, though. I wanted to use Terminus on xterm, but I've had no luck with that.

I've installed it, reinstalled it, compiled it from ports, but still nothing. Of course, I added FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/terminus-font/" to xorg.conf and ran fc-cache -rf .

I've also reloaded X countless times and ran xrdb -merge .Xresources every time I changed things. Here's some output from fc-cache:

Code:
$ fc-cache -rfv | grep -i terminus
        /usr/local/share/fonts/terminus-font
/usr/local/share/fonts/terminus-font: caching, new cache contents: 36 fonts, 0 dirs
/usr/local/share/fonts/terminus-font: skipping, looped directory detected

Also, if it helps, here's the tail end of fc-cache -rfv:
Code:
/var/db/fontconfig: not cleaning unwritable cache directory
/home/dra/.cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
/home/dra/.fontconfig: not cleaning non-existent cache directory
fc-cache: succeeded

Thank you for your help in advance. If you need any more information, I'd be happy to provide it!

Solved: I read others' problem with this package, and apparently Terminus is named "xos4 Terminus" for use in configuration files.

In general, if you want to find out which monospace scalable fonts are available on your system, run this:

fc-list :scalable=true:spacing=mono: family

You can then use these font family names (and specify a size) with, e.g.

xterm -fa "Zolan Mono BTN:size=24"

Back