X1 Carbon Synaptics trackpad Xorg

jamesmintram

Device: Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2018-20KHC with FreeBSD12

I am having trouble getting my trackpad to work. I have posted config files and Xorg logs to the gist below.

I have seen the trackpad work for about 2 seconds, very occasionally before it stops working. Soft/Hard reboots don't seem to bring the trackpad back to life.

I have tried setting hw.psm.elantech_support="1" in my loader.conf file - but when I run startx I see the touchpad driver does not load. So I am confident that hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" is the correct option.

Can anyone help me?

roccobaroccoSC

You could boot the kernel in debug mode. On the startup menu press "3" and then type "boot -v".
Then see what messages might pop in dmesg.

abishai

Aspiring Daemon

Switch to libinput and remove synaptic driver.
1. Build kernel with EVDEV option
2. Grab newer xOrg server here https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=196678
Code:
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "TransformationMatrix" "1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0.7"
    Option "Tapping" "on"
    Option "ScrollMethod" "edge"
EndSection
4. hw.psm.synaptics_support=1 in /boot/loader.conf
5. kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=12 in /etc/sysctl.conf

OP
OP
J

jamesmintram

roccobaroccoSC>
Thanks, I will try that. I have checked dmesg and everything seems to be OK. But I will try with the additional flags.
VladiBG>
I have already read that page and many other - I have tried lots of different combinations of flags/packages - and I am now here asking :)
Minbari>
I have seen much conflicting information about enabling moused. From what I gather, moused should not be enabled when using a synaptics pad with X11?
abishai>
Thanks. I tried something close to thise. But I was missing the xorg conf bit. I will give it another go.

Also, if there is anyone in Berlin who may be able to take a look at my machine, I would be happy to buy you a coffee!

OP
OP
J

jamesmintram

OK, so I have it kind of working with libinput. However, the cursor feels janky and clicking
is very temperamental. Sometime I can click the pad or the button many times with no
effect, other times it works perfectly.

Does this sound like a misconfigured setting? or some deeper issue?

blackhaz

I have X1 Carbon Yoga (1st generation) working fine with just moused_enable="YES" in rc.conf. No other configuration was necessary, and X detects everything automatically on start. I do a few more usability tweaks in sysctl.conf but these are optional:

Code:
hw.psm.synaptics.min_pressure=1
hw.psm.synaptics.div_len=1
hw.psm.synaptics.weight_previous=1
hw.psm.synaptics.weight_current=1
hw.psm.synaptics.vscroll_div_min=100
hw.psm.synaptics.taphold_timeout=0

Minbari

Minbari>
I have seen much conflicting information about enabling moused. From what I gather, moused should not be enabled when using a synaptics pad with X11?
The trackpad/trackpoint works ok on my Thinkpad T430 and moused_enabled is in /etc/rc.conf.
and in /etc/sysctl.conf I have:
Code:
hw.psm.trackpoint.sensitivity=205
hw.psm.trackpoint.upper_plateau=105