X working, but startx does not.

Weird situation that hopefully someone has come across and can direct me to a solution:

I'm using FreeBSD-7.2-p3, xorg 7.4, nvidia-driver, and nvidia-xconfig. My output is only to a TV using an S-Video cable.

Basically, I've installed xorg using ports, then installed nvidia-driver and nvidia-xconfig also from ports. I ran nvidia-xconfig, which went through and generated a xorg.conf file. Now, using the command: "X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf -retro", I am able to get the nVidia splash-screen, and then the nice "grey" background with an X for a cursor, which responds nicely to my mouse.

I exited and created an .xinitrc file with just "xterm &" in it. When I try to run "startx", I get the nice nVidia splash screen, but then pauses on a blank screen for a second, and returns me to my prompt, no errors being reported on the screen.

X seems to be running, but instead of starting my xterm, it just exits. I'm sure I missed a step somewhere, but have been banging my head on my desk and I don't want the desk to fall apart, so figured I'd post instead. :p

You are the man Beastie! I knew I was missing something stupid, but was in that "'been looking at this screen too long" mode. :p

Back