Solved X Win login repeats over and over

theHAL9000

So - I fallen in love with FreeBSD. Linux was fun but its like having 100 cooks making a stew. The beef, fish and goat together? Too many cooks. And I like software that actually compiles on my machine. I can't tell you how insane it makes me to try to compile from source on a Linux machine and have to fiddle with it for hours or days.

Anyhow - as you can guess I've only just discovered there is an alternative to Linux. Everything has gone great (And its understandable) but.... I've gotten stuck for a day and a half on one silly thing. I get to the X graphical login screen. If I type in a login with the wrong password it tells me that it's wrong in big red letters. If I type in a valid account and password the screen goes away. Does something then comes right back to the login screen. If I Ctrl alt f1 I can log in (Same account password) type startx and it runs fine. It even runs jwm which is the only command in my .xintric file. *I would like it to also run rox (A graphical file manager) but? Not sure where that properly goes.

I looked around for a while for someone with this problem and haven't had any luck. I'm pretty sure my xorg.conf file is correct I'm not sure which other ones pertain to this. *Never had an X11 login screen. XDM? Is it? Anyway I didn't get cute. I tried to do it per the FreeBSD Handbook example.

Has anyone an idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks much for any suggestions.

ANOKNUSA

Aspiring Daemon

Sounds like you haven't copied your ~/.xinitrc file to ~/.xsession. x11/xdm reads its start-up info from there, and will just crash back to login if it doesn't find the file (or if there's an error in the file).

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

To keep both in sync create a symlink:
ln -s ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession

OP
theHAL9000

theHAL9000

First, wow! You guys rock! That is what the problem was! I have to do a bit more study on what these files do. On the Linux machine I've been using its a huge file that in the end ends up running a file manager (jwm). My file is two lines long and just runs a file manager (jwm). I've been reading a great book called "The Joy of X by Mansfield". He shows an example of a file manager that looks very cool. The only thing I've used has been Rox. I'm going to live on the edge and maybe try something else. Ha! Anyway I tend to babble so again thank you so much for the help. This is looking cool. And I'm so glad I asked because I would not have figured this out for a long long time.

A huge thanks and I'm really sorry I'm late to the FreeBsd FreeBSD party.

- Jay