Solved WWW/PALEMOON port deleted

Lamia

Some of us still rely on Palemoon (gecko) more than the webkit-based or webengine-based browsers. I would think that if the security bugs are fixed at the same scale as the current version of Firefox, Palemoon should still be in the ports.

I'm not a fan of others. Falkon was earlier Quizzilla or so. Waterfox, qutebrowser and so on don't match Palemoon. I could only get Chromium as an alternative.

Would it ressurect anytime soon?

unitrunker

Create your own fork of Palemoon and remove all the branding. At that point you can include whatever security fixes you like. Just don't call it "Palemoon."

Trihexagonal

Daemon

I hate to see it go. It's the only browser I had left that was worth anything. I'm having difficulty updating www/firefox and www/firefox-esr with ports and haven't felt like looking too hard to see how to resolve it. Guess I will pretty soon.

ILUXA made a zip file so we could build Palemoon before it hit the ports tree and is how I first installed it.

OP
OP
Lamia

Lamia

Of course, building Firefox and its variants/derivatives is now a nightmare. If it is not a battle between webkit and webengine, it will be something else.

All XUL-based browsers are gone - SeaMonkey, Palemoon, etc. Qupzilla is no exception. We're seeing the end of XUL with all its superb extensions.

Long live Palemoon!

ILUXA

Aspiring Daemon

IMO www/palemoon was better before they switched to their "Goanna" engine,
but even now it's pretty good alternative to all popular browsers. BTW, I had some problems
with recent versions of PM on FreeBSD, with some media content, it was playing slowed :-/
Also I'm missing original palemoon logo and icons in FreeBSD www/palemoon port :)

OP
OP
Lamia

Lamia

Thank GOD, there is still Thunderbird, Komodo and a few other XUL/XPCOM based apps.

OP
OP
Lamia

Lamia

Why would they go their own way with the Goanna UI kit? There should still be an effort to use the core - Gecko, Necko, etc somewhere. I checked WaterFox back then but not on par.