wpa_supplicant hangs

Hello!

I installed FreeBSD and now try to configure the wlan0 interface. I have in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf below extra config:
Code:
network={
ssid="asd"
psk="123"
scan_ssid=1
}

and in /etc/rc.conf
Code:
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"

but when I try to do wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf then it hangs (there is some connection loop, I think). What can be wrong in my configuration?

I am fresh in FreeBSD, so please write if you need more data.

Does the card work at all?

See if it responds to this:
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0
ifconfig wlan0 up scan
ifconfig wlan0 list scan

There should also be an ath(4) interface. That's assuming you have an Atheros based Wifi card.

Post the output of [cmd=]ifconfig -a[/cmd]

Yes, there is ath0 and I can see its MAC address and media is IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11b and status is associated.

rysic said:
BTW. Why there is no iwconfig command in FreeBSD? ;)
Because it's a network interface and network interfaces are configured with ifconfig(8). Why would we need a separate command?

So what is the way to set SSID using ifconfig? In Linux sometimes when wpa_supplicant is not working correctly, there must be set SSID using simple iwconfig (iwconfig can't connect to WPA2 but it is setting SSID correctly when wpa_supplicant is not).

But let's think about FreeBSD configuration way now :) What else can I do/check to connect to my WiFi?

There is message:
Code:
No suitable network found

I suppose that problem is that network is hiden and he can't find it! He is trying to scan for networks as I see in output but he can't find such SSID.

Turn SSID broadcasts back on. It's a useless "security" precaution anyway. The SSID is sent along with every packet, unencrypted, regardless of the encryption being used.

I know that... But my boss wanted broadcast off and it must be like that :/
I'll test it and we will see if that is the reason.

In PC-BSD I discovered one amazing thing. There was a disabled WiFi button! The easiest things are the most difficult to discover. Thank you very much for help. I'm going back to FreeBSD :)

Back