Would you recommend me...?

A well-formed succinct argument, Councilor.
Having another laptop I could use to reference my own tutorial has come in handy more than once.

you'd also need graphics/tesseract, the entire OpenCV stack, and to figure out how to make them play with audio/speex. Oh, and maybe ask AI chatbots to read it to you? ;)
However, you aren't even in consideration of becoming Red Devils Advocate.

The Firefox extension "Read Aloud: A Text- to Speech Voice Reader" by LSD Software currently reading Simulacron-3.pdf in a free Google female voice heard through Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium lightweight headphones, the best headphones a $22 bill can buy.

say_what_what_what.jpg

And the .pdf, extension and voice were free!!!

Google tries to trick you into a trial subscription but just enter the file path to the .pdf to load it in Firefox. You can close those other pages and it will cheerfully tell you haw you are living in a marketing simulation.

It will not tell you how deep the rabbit hole goes in Worlds within Worlds, and neither will I. World On A Wire, or Welt am Draht by Rainer Werner Fassbinder and the 13th Floor were based on this book and will.
To an extent, Grasshopper.

Then I'm going to be read Twilight Watch. sequel to the Russian movies Night Watch and Day Watch. Which are always free to me, but I did buy Welt am Draht. I wanted it that bad.

Would you recommend me to read the whole Handbook? Or download an .ISO, run it, and read what I need when I need it?
Download the ISO then install FreeBSD while reading the Handbook. If that requires reading the entire handbook (hint: it won't), then so be it.
When you have questions, you head here for the next phase: questions that are not covered or not answered in the handbook. :)

MY DOCUMENTATION "System"

Maybe it could be interesting for a Newbie, how do I organize my documentation. Without knowing I presume most do it similar. It's neither genial, nor unique, but maybe helpful to have it summed up:

1. There is nothing much I really print out. Wasted thousands of pages (e.g. several hundreds of handbookpages for Gnuplot from 1993 :D ...) plus ink/toner + energy + space... gave me the clue:
You don't look into it actually - you rather go into the internet, instead of getting up and grep a book from the shelves.
And when you do it, if you do it, you understand two things:
You don't need all of it, and most of what you need is outdated.
Another example was "The Complete FreeBSD" one eventually find quickly. I've also printed it out completely in my very beginning with FreeBSD.
It's not a bad book. It's a very good book indeed. But most of it is outdated (If there is no updated version yet, what to me does not appear to happen.)
It gave me the idea, that for me fvwm would be best and the impulse to start with it.
Very many thanks for that!
But I didn't really need to have it printed it out completely for that.

Only print out, when you really work with pens on its paper, and only the parts you need.
And then at least use duplex mode. (The few handbooks, datasheets for microcontrollers mostly, I print out, I place 4 Pages on one sheet, landscape. There are special ring binders for thats. You safe lot of money, space and resources that way. But always think twice before you print!)

Besides it cost you much lifetime of your printer. Especially those cheap ones for 199,99 are made to sell you toner and especially more printers!

2. I have books - real hardcover bought ones. Those are, among other (some people have more than one book :p ) :
Powers, Peek, O'Reilly & Loukides "Unix Power Tools"
Nemeth, Snyder, Hein, Whaley "Unix and Linux Sytems Administration Handbook"
Those are not for my daily use on FreeBSD, but to root around for ideas, e.g. what backup opportunities there are.

3. Especially for the very beginnig, setting up the very first system, I strongly recommend to have a second machine available (Laptop, at least a tablet) to use help from the internet - reading handbooks, manpages, how-tos, forums.

Therefore my standard browser contains 5 speed dials:
The FreeBSD manpages (I prefer reading them there instead within the shell.)
FreeBSD Manual Pages
The Ports Collection site (I liked the old version more, since one could more root/roam around in it...):
Ports
The FreeBSD Handbook of course:
FreeBSD Handbook
The FreeBSD Architecture Handbook (I barely need it, but it gives me a good feeling :cool: (However you can get interesting things from it, even if you don't currently needed them - somteimes it's very worthful, not only to be fixed on a target, but roam around a little bit; e.g. look up somebodies name, e.g. mentioned in the manpages. You find interesting people and more often interesting websites with useful stuff!)
FreeBSD AHB
And the main page:
www.freebsd.org/

Additionally I have a short bookmark on
file:///usr/local/share/doc/
This ain't not only the whole official documention of all what's installed on your system, but root within it, you'll find real treasures in there!

Even if I am now may be pointed out making heresy, but good sites I prefer within searching results if nothing else came up directly pointing to be FreeBSD related,
complementing former mentioned ones are e.g.
https://archlinux.org/ and stackoverflow.com
But beware! FreeBSD is NOT Linux! You may find there some good informations about some software or very special issues that are systemindependent, but you always have to set your brains to ON-Mode, not to directly transfer all of it written there literally to FreeBSD and especially neither complain there nor here, that this is not really working that way on FreeBSD as it's mentioned there.
Those sides are not from/for FreeBSD. And nobody from FreeBSD is responsible for that sites!

4. I keep my system of bookmarks nearly up-to-date, wherein I collect any side useful I stumbled over.
(I don't look everything up again. When I know, where are good answers, I return directly, not searching again.)

5. I write down, what I've learned, and probably will use again:
On paper (I have my personal "FreeBSD" ring binder) and other stuff I write down with LaTeX, producing my personal handbooks and cheat sheets.
That's not really useful for me, but it helps to understand - learn - to write things down.

6. And last but not least I have a directory ("library") where I keep downloaded books, mostly as pdf or dvi,
because those couple of MB don't cost much and you'll never know, when the link will be broken - "http error 404 - site not found" - and it's not findable anymore.

7. You always have to pick for yourself what suits you best.
Nobody can help you with that but you.

Back