Worse than Linux in GUI scenarios

Hello. I found my ThinkPad t460 on freebsd 12.2 and Intel drm-kmod worked worse than Linux in any GUI app. It's just more slow and sometimes freeze. Even in vim with syntax highlighting.
I manually set CPU to maximum performance so it's not cpu issue.
Is it because freebsd use linux.kpi for video and it's worse than native driver in Linux by design?

I noticed random freezes with the intel driver too. I resolved it by deinstalling it and letting X.Org use the default modesetting driver.

FreeBSD actually runs faster than Linux on my machine.
But according to guides in handbook and in graphics wiki we should install drm-kmod for better performance... I don't understand.

I had same issue with "intel" driver and "modesetting" driver provides better performance.
FreeBSD runs faster than any Linux distro or Windows10 (pre-installed) on my Lenovo too ......👀

I had same issue with "intel" driver and "modesetting" driver provides better performance.
FreeBSD runs faster than any Linux distro or Windows10 (pre-installed) on my Lenovo too ......👀
Could you guys explain please what I need to do step by step? I'll try it again when I'll have enough time to install freebsd again.

Read pkg info -D drm-fbsd12.0-kmod (It's the message that gets printed when you install it).

Read pkg info -D drm-fbsd12.0-kmod (It's the message that gets printed when you install it).
I run intel and it’s working very well. However, I’m not starting from EFI boot. If FreeBSD13-RELEASE is released I was planning to change to EFI boot. Does the message mean that I’ll loose the ability to use drm-fbsd13-kmod? If so, I’ll keep my system on legacy.

Nope. You shouldn't have a problem. I have it running on 2 laptops using uefi install with no problem. Install FreeBSD, install the drm-fbsd13-kmod and you should be good to go.

I run intel and it’s working very well. However, I’m not starting from EFI boot. If FreeBSD13-RELEASE is released I was planning to change to EFI boot. Does the message mean that I’ll loose the ability to use drm-fbsd13-kmod? If so, I’ll keep my system on legacy.
The loading of the DRM KMS kernel module is completely independent from the boot method you choose to boot the BeaSD. The former is done when the OS is already up & running. If your system is UEFI, you should be able to boot via the EFI method (as opposed to the old legacy via CSM).

EFI boot should only be problematic with AMD graphics, not Intel.

Back