[wishlist] Please add Find threads -> Unsolved threads

Would an option to compute a list of unsolved thread be useful?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Likely

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Doubtfully

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know

• Total voters
I can get a list of unanswered threads. That's good, with that I can pick up one & try to help. But beeing a human, occasionally I do not add sensible input towards a solution... and then that thread is not in that list anymore, thus others doing like me: pick up from that list, do not find that thread therein. For sure I'm not the only one who occasionally does not help on-topic but writes just chit-chat.

Thus I'd like to have the opportunity to compute a list of unsolved threads. That would enable more users to pick up one & help where they feel they can.

Tricky. There is a "solved" prefix you search for (advanced search: https://forums.freebsd.org/search/?type=post). But you can't query for 'prefix = not "solved"' (that would already be useful I think). And not all threads that are solved are marked as such. Not all threads refer to a specific problem either. So it's going to be difficult getting a list of "unsolved" threads.

[...] And not all threads that are solved are marked as such.
This could easily be mitigated by showing a small reminder @bottom or top: "Please remember to set the thread to solved when your issue has been resolved", until the user has done so X times. X=3, subject of discussion (SoD). Incl. link or popup with a small howto, if at all necessary. Maybe that hint is so short that it fits into that reminder without stealing too much space on an average screen (desktop/laptop). For small (mobile) user devices, maybe a link is better.
Not all threads refer to a specific problem either.
OK, then these occur in the list. I don't mind. In the most cases, it will be clear from the subject line if it's a question seeking for an answer, an issue to be resolved or something else.
EDIT Besides that, we can establish some simple (optional) conventions like prefixing the suject line with "[help] ", "help: " or "[Q] ", "Q: ". This doesn't even habe to be written down. If enough do it & it's useful because it increases your chances to get help, the others will follow.

2nd EDIT: It might be useful if one can set a time frame e.g. find unsolved threads of the last week/month/3 month/forever. Default SoD.
So it's going to be difficult getting a list of "unsolved" threads.
True nerds enjoy to solve tricky problems, right? Let's brainstorm. That XenForo is professional software? Maybe they already have an add-on for that, or one that can easily be adopted.

I can get a list of unanswered threads. …

Cool! I never noticed this feature.

<https://forums.freebsd.org/find-threads/unanswered> – Threads with no replies …

For topics that are largely unanswered (or not entirely answered) despite the presence of replies, I sometimes apply the tag:
Other people might like to do the same with their own topics. Tag them.

… a small reminder @bottom or top: "Please remember to set the thread to solved when your issue has been resolved", until the user has done so X times. …

Good idea.

I sometimes refer people to this:

– in the solved topic, at a person's profile (where the person can delete content), or in a private message. The second and third options help to reduce noise in topics.

Back