Wireless problem

Hi all,

I'm a complete beginner in FreeBSD systems and I'm having trouble getting my wireless to work. I am using FreeBSD 9.0 on a Toshiba l505 Satellite laptop which I think has a Realtek RTL819 wireless lan controller. I've looked at the handbook and added
Code:
if_urtw_load="YES"
in /boot/loader.conf and
Code:
wlans_urtw0="wlan0"
in rc.conf. But when I try and do ifconfig wlan0 up scan it says the device does not exist.

Again I'm very new so tell me if you need any more details to be able to help! Is this card supported in freebsd FreeBSD 9 with that urtw driver? Also, my home network uses
MAC filtering if that makes any difference, but the router already has my MAC address on its ok list.

I don't know if I should add that when I boot up I have to choose option 4 to disable the ACPI before I boot because ACPI never works enabled and gives me an error - not sure if that has anything to do with the wireless or not.

Thanks in advance.

JonathanBSD said:
Hi all,

I'm a complete beginner in FreeBSD systems and I'm having trouble getting my wireless to work. I am using FreeBSD 9.0 on a Toshiba l505 Satellite laptop which I think has a Realtek RTL819 wireless lan controller. I've looked at the handbook and added
Code:
if_urtw_load="YES"
in /boot/loader.conf and
Code:
wlans_urtw0="wlan0"
in rc.conf. But when I try and do ifconfig wlan0 up scan it says the device does not exist.

# kldstat
lists loaded modules. See if the one you have is there.

Try manually creating wlan0 rather first, see what messages you get, if any.
# ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev urtw0 up

... my home network uses
MAC filtering if that makes any difference, but the router already has my MAC address on its ok list.

Why, what does this do?

Tthanks for the quick reply.

kldstat lists:
Code:
kernel
if_wi.ko
radeon.ko
drm.ko

and when I type

ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev urtw0 up

I get the error message

Code:
SIOCIFCREATE2: Device not configured

For your question as to why MAC filtering, because my modem doesn't have a WEP key so it was the only way to stop other people connecting to it.

Well there you go, you don't have driver loaded.
Load with
# kldload [driver]

But I think that already in kernel.

So, the next most obvious question is, what makes you think you need that specific driver?
Hit
# ifconfig

I thought I needed urtw as the ath0 didn't work and I read somewhere that realtek needs this driver.

When I try and kldload urtw it says

Code:
can't load urtw: file exists

Output from ifconfig is:

Code:
# ifconfig
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
        ether 00:26:6c:3d:b1:1b
        inet6 fe80::226:6cff:fe3d:b11b%re0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
        inet 10.0.0.11 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
        nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING
 options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8 
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

That shows this wireless card:

Code:
none1@pci0:2:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x818210ec chip=0x817210ec rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
    device     = 'RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller'
    class      = network
re0@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0xff1e1179 chip=0x813610ec rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.'
    device     = 'RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

Oh I see, I'll try and find some tutorials on that then.

One other thing, I cannot change the brightness of my laptop screen using the usual FN method, but I saw on other's posts people can change it by loading acpi_video then using a sysctl command to set the brightness level, would you happen to know what the command is?

Back