Wireless adapter is not listed

Wikidevi says this uses the Atheros AR9565 chipset
Wikidevi DW1707

A prior thread is not optimistic
Thread 54986

You can confirm the card chipset with the pciconf command as used in the prior thread.

As far a getting wifi working, the easiest route, if Dell's bios allows, would be to change to a supported card or use a usb adapter. Otherwise, see if the developers are motivated to get your card working.

Thanks for reply, I really appreciate it. But i will have to use Linux.

When I use WiFi (which is not often) - I always use an external USB WiFi stick. Those are cheap and easy. The benefit is that the ISP never gets your real hardware address. So, if you use a different WiFi stick for the coffee shop, etc, they won't be able to connect any dots, for big data activities.

I usually get a stick with an RAlink chipset, and I think there are many threads on this forum about suggestions in this area. Many sticks work with FreeBSD.

BTW: I always use an external USB stick for wired ethernet, as well. Same reason.

When I use WiFi (which is not often) - I always use an external USB WiFi stick. Those are cheap and easy. The benefit is that the ISP never gets your real hardware address. So, if you use a different WiFi stick for the coffee shop, etc, they won't be able to connect any dots, for big data activities.

I usually get a stick with an RAlink chipset, and I think there are many threads on this forum about suggestions in this area. Many sticks work with FreeBSD.

BTW: I always use an external USB stick for wired ethernet, as well. Same reason.
Aha. A question for you then: do you carry a cell phone with (or without) wireless when you visit a coffeeshop? (or anywhere else for that matter)
If they really want to, they can track you.

I haven't carried either a cell phone or smart phone since 2009. Yes, they can (and will) track you where they can, but I prefer not to make it easy for them. I have more freedom than most people, by a large measure. I'm disconnected, off the grid, and happy that way. Sometimes it's a little inconvenient, which is a very cheap price to pay. I get all my clothes at second hand stores, so that someone else's name is associated with the RFID tags in them. Don't have to, financially, but want to - for freedom there is a price some will pay, others not.

Hello Kimal :)
My advice is to first upgrade your system to 11.2-RELEASE and then check if your wireless card is supported.
Please read FreeBSD Update for more information on how to upgrade your system.

Back