Solved Wireless 5Ghz PCI card for FreeBSD

Hi everyone!

I have bought a new PC and I will need a wifi adapter for it in order to connect to the internet because I won't be able to use an ethernet cable.
I have been looking for some adapters on amazon and couldn't find any 5Ghz that is clearly supported by FreeBSD and that's why I am asking here before buying something without being sure it will work as it should.

Do you have any recommendations for me?
Thanks in advance :)

Many 5GHz will work, but not necessarily give you 802.11ac speeds. For example, the intel7260 will connect to a 5GH network, but only gives me speeds of 2MB or so on a local LAN, whereas Linux will give me 30-50MB.

(That Intel uses the iwm driver). I'm not sure if any of the Atheros cards will give you 802.11ac speeds but I think more work has been done with them than with others.

I believe intel and some atheros cards support 802.11n, and that none support 802.11ac. I would recommend reviewing the manual pages. For example rtwn(4) at the bottom states it does not support 802.11n. Also look at mailing lists. There is a fair amount of overlap between the BSD's. An OpenBSD developer noted that even though an 11n connection is established with an Atheros9 card, the throughput was not a good as a b/g card.

For that reason, I decided not to spend alot on a state of the art wifi card I bought one of these for <$6USD and, on OpenBSD get LAN throughput around 48Mbps

Back