Other [Windows 8.1 x64 + FreeBSD x64 + OpenBSD x64]

Hello.I'm new here,I want to install Windows 8.1,FreeBSD-10 and OpenBSD-5.6 on a 500GB HD.I want to use 150GB for each system,just to see how it works.I need help.Which bootloader to use?Has anyone here ever done this?Thanks in advance.

It is much easier and more useful to install VirtualBox and create VMs for FreeBSD and OpenBSD. This avoids have to mess with Windows 8 booting changes, UEFI, and SecureBoot, and the VMs can run at the same time as the host.

Otherwise, it will probably involve Grub2.

If I wanted to put FreeBSD,OpenBSD and Opensuse?I should first install FreeBSD or OpenBSD?Grub from Opensuse will recognize FreeBSD and OpenBSD?
I'm lost here ...

A combination of open operating systems will be easier. But it is still more difficult to set up than virtual machines, and less versatile.

A combination of open operating systems will be easier. But it is still more difficult to set up than virtual machines, and less versatile.
But Opensuse grub will recognize FreeBSD and OpenBSD?I'll try here anyway.

It feels like none of this is sinking in. The free program VirtualBox will let you run multiple operating systems at the same time, with virtual disks that don't endanger data in other partitions or waste whole partitions. It is free, easy to use and set up, and free. Did I mention it's free, and works better than a multiboot setup? Oh, and it's free, too.

Dear LucasBSD
GRUB2 is quite a monster by itself. I would not dare to invoke it from a operating system I am not familiar with. If you are familiar with an operating system for which GRUB2 is available the first step would be to try to operate two different installations from GRUB2. If this works the time might be right to install a different operating system. Starting the new system by GRUB2 is the next challenge. The bottle neck to try different operating systems can easily be GRUB2 and not the operating systems themselves.

Otherwise a spare hard disk or even a spare PC might be a choice just to try different operating systems. And of course VirtualBox is an option which I personally have not tried up to now, but many others who recommend it.

Back