Windows 7 FreeBSD Dual Boot Woes

Hi,

I've got a dual quad core machine and I'd like to do a dual boot of Windows 7 and FreeBSD/AMD64. I've tried 3 times and have not succeeded yet... appreciate your help. I've also read through a bunch of threads and have not found anyone else with my particular problem: I install Windows 7 first, then FreeBSD/AMD64, and the machine always boots into FreeBSD.

I am installing Windows 7 first. When installing Windows I delete all partitions, so that Windows has the whole disk (1TB). After Windows 7 is installed, I use the control panel to shrink the C: partition by 300GB to have this available for two installs of FreeBSD.

In the FreeBSD install, I create a new slice of 150GB for the AMD64 version of FreeBSD, I'm thinking I'd also like to install FreeBSD/i386 once I get this working.

I do not make the slice for FreeBSD/AMD64 bootable. I install FreeBSD and everything seems to go smoothly.

When installing FreeBSD, I do not install the boot manager. I'm planning on using the EastyBCD utility as described here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=14222&highlight=dual+booting.

I have read these threads, but I can't find anyone else that has the same problem as I am having: after I install FreeBSD, even though I did not install the FreeBSD boot manager and did not mark the slice as bootable, the machine boots into FreeBSD.

One thing I notice that I haven't seen discussed is that Windows 7 creates a small partition first. When installing FreeBSD, the fdisk shows this partition as having a size of 2047, PType is 12 and is is listed as 'unused'. The next partition is the Windows C:, then the Windows D: I created from within Windows. These are both NTFS partitions with a subtype of 7.

I haven't been able to find this problem discussed anywhere else, I'd appreciate any help to get this dual boot machine up and running. Thanks.

I should have mentioned I'm trying to install FreeBSD 8.1.

Here is a thread that discuss the small system partition added by Win 7 install. What's puzzling is that when I install FreeBSD fdisk does not recognize this partition. And even though I don't install the freebsd boot loader and I don't mark the freebsd slice as bootable, after installing freebsd the machine boots into freebsd not windows.

Back