bhyve Windows 10 virtio-blk not working with vm-bhyve

Hello,

I am using kernel 12.1-Release.

I set up a windows 10 VM with vm-bhyve. Using a 1909 windows install iso.

I just upgraded to 12.1 Release. I tried booting the VM with virtio-blk driver (which never worked under 12.0) and it worked this time.
Then windows ran an update, and after that it stopped working. Booting the VM always results in a BSOD with "Inaccessible boot device"

How I set up the VM (using vm commandline tool):
I installed the VM using the ahci-hd driver. Then installed virtio drivers in the VM (which I mount via ahci-cd) over vnc. Result when changing to virtio in .conf -> virtio-net works, virtio-blk bluescreens the VM with "Inaccessible Boot device"

Did I set up the VM incorrectly?

I also tried to install on a virtio-blk device, but when I use the "load drivers" option in windows installation menue, the virtio driver makes the mounted virtio disk visible, but as soon as I select it and start the installation, bhyve crashes (the log shows the error: Assertion failed: n >= 2 && n <= BLOCKIF_IOV_MAX + 2, file pci_virtio_block.c, line 239. The error should have been fixed in a commit from May 2020. I also suspect something with my package update went wrong, I am using synth. But the vm-bhyve utility should be included in the kernel upgrade, is what I think when I checked the freebsd git repository.

Does anyone have the same behaviour, or does know how I can fix mine? The windows10 VM was unusable with the ahci-hd device. The few seconds I had with the virtio-blk driver were orders of magnitude more performant, and actually usable.

Thanks in advance!

I installed the VM using the ahci-hd driver. Then installed virtio drivers in the VM (which I mount via ahci-cd) over vnc. Result when changing to virtio in .conf -> virtio-net works, virtio-blk bluescreens the VM with "Inaccessible Boot device"
Typical Windows problem. Once it's installed all other disk controller drivers are disabled. It's similar to this issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-ahci-on/c5bfc112-e038-43bc-97b3-877dfdd635a8

You obviously need to use a different key to enable the virtio-blk drivers (don't know what they're called in the registery) but the idea is the same.

Back