Solved Windows 10 on bhyve: 'bhyve command' has no output (11.2 Release)

Guys,

Recently have been following https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/Windows

I have successfully completed the guide up into 'Windows ISO Boot', where I execute something like:
Code:
bhyve \
      -c 2 \
      -s 0,hostbridge \
      -s 3,ahci-hd,windows2016.img \
      -s 4,ahci-cd,install.iso \
      -s 10,virtio-net,tap0 \
      -s 31,lpc \
      -l com1,/dev/nmdm0A \
      -l com2,/dev/nmdm1A \
      -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd \
      -m 2G -H -w \
      windows2016

The guide indicates that this should produce considerable output, after which I end up in some kind of pre-boot windows console. However, it runs without any output. It uses a good amount of CPU for maybe a minute, and allocates a few hundred MB of memory, but that is about it. I tried connecting to the console soon after running the command:
Code:
cu -l /dev/nmdm0A
But there is also nothing on the console.

I am confident that I have followed the instructions in that guide correctly, but I am welcome to whatever I might be missing.

Thanks

I am running
Code:
FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #0 r337017 amd64

Running Windows without a graphical console is a PITA, and was only really a necessity inbetween the UEFI firmware being developed, and vnc support being added.

I’d recommend looking up the instructions for adding a vnc frame buffer and then using a vnc client to install via the standard install gui.

Or easier still, use sysutils/vm-bhyve which handles all the bhyve commands for you.

• Thanks
Reactions: pkc
Hmm, I did try now adding a line to my `bhyve` invocation:

Code:
-s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=800,h=600,wait

as seen here for example: https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/UEFI

But I'm getting an error
Code:
vm_reinit: Device busy

I'll wait a little while, and if it still doesn't work, I'll go ahead and restart and try again.

The previous error ended up being because I never did `bhyvectl --destroy` (first time using...)
Managed to get it installed; removed the AutoUnattend before I installed and input the key code myself.
I will migrate to vm-bhyve soon. Thanks

Back