Windowmaker issues

Hey. I'm kind of new to FreeBSD so this might sound like a bit of a stupid question (I did use search), but I suppose we all start out as n00bs, so please be kind :p Question follows:

Most apps are showing their icons in the wm dock as weird ugly black icons. The WM FAQ leads me to believe that WM has been compiled with -enable-openlook.

So: how do I pass configure arguments to WM when compiling it from ports? The way I'm used to building software is configure, make, make install so this is kind of new to me.

BTW, I could be completely wrong about this being the problem. Has anyone else ran across this problem in WM before? If it wasn't because of the above mentioned config option how did you fix it?

And on a semi-related note: I'm having major issues with GWorkspace on FreeBSD. It crashes frequently and when it runs it can't display any text, the text in the menu list is missing, the text in columns is missing etc... Is this a known issue for it running on FreeBSD? I've used it on Linux before and it ran perfectly :(

Thanks in advance :)

I've solved the issue w/GWorkstation, switched the GNUstep backend and everything works like a charm.

Still haven't worked out the issue with the WM icons though.

I like WindowMaker a lot, but it makes my eyes tired, kind of I can see the screen pixels when using it. It is weird, I know, but stopped using it because of that.

Martillo1 said:
I like WindowMaker a lot, but it makes my eyes tired, kind of I can see the screen pixels when using it. It is weird, I know, but stopped using it because of that.

Same here. I tried changing themes, fonts and colors to no avail. There is just something about WindowMaker that hurts my eyes.

The only black&white icon I have is for vlc, others display fine, maybe it does not have an icon in the wm-icons package? But I am getting used to using that WM, but is there a package that supplies the wmCalClock?, I miss that Windowmaker app.

It's not that wm doesn't have an icon for it, it picks up the app icon and then caches it. I've figured out only a few apps will do this. The funny thing is that it will show in full colour when you first start the app then about a second later it goes greyscale. If I look at the cached pixmaps though they are all full colour. It also happens to every icon I add to the dock if it loads the cached pixmaps.

Back