Window Maker Errors

I've been trying to get Window Maker to work. I edited initrc, located @

/usr/local/lib/X11/xinit/

I added
Code:
exec wmaker

When I execute startx, I receive the following error:
Code:
(EE)Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found) /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.4" not found, required by "wmaker"

I don't know why it is throwing a GLX error at me. startx was working fine and the driver was initializing properly then. Has anyone ran into this before? I am running FreeBSD 8.1 AMD64. Nvidia's current drivers (256.44)

That appears to be two separate errors. First, wmaker was compiled against libm.so.4, which it can't find any more. Does that library exist on your system?

Second, it looks like you have the nvidia driver installed, but you are not using it. What does your entire /var/log/Xorg.0.log file look like?

Adam

I would post a log but I just installed mutt and for some reason when I try to send an email, when I enter a subject and hit enter, it gives me a tmp error. I am really losing my patience with BSD, the learning curve is becoming a bit ridiculous. I install a program, I have no idea where it is installing to. When it doesn't run and I run make deinstall, is it removing all the files or do I have to hunt them down? Anyway I tried Alpine and Pico to send mail too, with no luck.

maybe /usr/ports/net/sendemail? You can
put together a few .sh to send email to
certain persons maybe... Mutt also req.
setup.
see the pkg-plist in the port for files and
directories installed. Those are usually
removed except the ones you configure later,
like .muttrc for mutt.
TIP... search for muttrc's on the web. Larger
ones will have comments, you can download and
install one, editing to your preference.
As far as losing patience, I dual-booted for several
years, and setup took about as long for each
aspect (non-crashing desktop, email...) in freebsd
as for windows. But the freebsd setup can survive
many version upgrades, and thus should be backed
up better. (a Reinstall, for instance, can be
counterproductive vs productive for certain other OS,
since a reinstall-of-backup can be much more worthwhile
than those other OS in many instances.)

I gave up on that and just installed gnome instead. I found that a common failure for getting a window manager installed is ghostscript8. It is in /usr/ports/print/ghostscript8 but it doesnt find it automatically when installing the manager. You can also do a [CMD="\"]pkg_add -r ghostscript8[/CMD]
This info is here if anyone does a search with window manager problems. Goodluck.

Back