window(1)?

I got this with my ``Freshports daily new ports'' a few days ago:

http://www.freshports.org/misc/window/
Add window(1) from the base system. This follows OpenBSD whom removed
this yesterday and we would like to follow suit.

I searched the -current list, but I can't find any thread or something about it... Does anyone know why it is being removed?

I often use the standard FreeBSD LiveFS to repair systems, and window is the only way to open multiple shells at the same time (That works out of the box anyway), I would *really* hate to see it removed from base, it would seriously decrease the usefulness of the FreeBSD LiveFS...

Carpetsmoker said:
I often use the standard FreeBSD LiveFS to repair systems, and window is the only way to open multiple shells at the same time (That works out of the box anyway), I would *really* hate to see it removed from base, it would seriously decrease the usefulness of the FreeBSD LiveFS...
Doesn't ALT-F1, ALT-F2, etc. work?

That does make it somewhat limited :(

Haven't tried it yet but I guess you can install the port to the ISO image before burning. Mount the ISO using mdconfig and use DESTDIR to install a few ports (like window or maybe even screen). It does mean you need to customize the ISO a little before it'll be useful.

Perhaps try to build a statically-linked, self-contained version of it and dump it in /rescue? Or package the port and install it from a stick. Anyway, it sounds like a nuisance.

I just want to download a stock image and use that, I need basic tools like vi, dd, etc. I don't need anything fancy.
The only LiveCD I like is the simple FreeBSD LiveFS, I don't like other liveCD's like FreeSBie ... The only limitation of this LiveFS is the lack of virual terminals, window is not a perfect solution, but it works pretty well for me.

I could make my own LiveCD, but that's just too much time ... And this solution has always worked for me ...
Using an USB stick is cumbersome ... I use this method on occasion for things like dd_rescue or whatever, I don't fancy doing it every time I boot the CD ...

AFAIK window has only been removed in 8-CURRENT. Which means it's still available on the release 6 & 7 CDs.

Carpetsmoker said:
I got this with my ``Freshports daily new ports'' a few days ago:

http://www.freshports.org/misc/window/

I searched the -current list, but I can't find any thread or something about it... Does anyone know why it is being removed?
I am wondering the same myself. I honestly have to admit that I like dvtm better than window but the second one was in the base.
Window was quite buggy also and notoriously poorly documented. I had to dig some very old threads from users@netbsd in order to write my .windowrc file.

Carpetsmoker said:
I just want to download a stock image and use that, I need basic tools like vi, dd, etc. I don't need anything fancy.
The only LiveCD I like is the simple FreeBSD LiveFS, I don't like other liveCD's like FreeSBie ... The only limitation of this LiveFS is the lack of virual terminals, window is not a perfect solution, but it works pretty well for me.

Have you tried Frenzy? It's only 32-bit and based on FreeBSD 6.x, but I've found it to be much nicer to use than even Kanotix/Knoppix in console mode.

Frenzy ... Wasn't that the one with green console text and all other kinds of crap "custom" configurations, automagic scripts, and whatnot?

Some of the boot is colourised, yes. But once you get to a console prompt, you have a standard FreeBSD 6.x install with a bunch of extra networking apps installed from the ports tree.

Frenzy is awesome, it's my favorite live-cd.

Unfortunately, it looks the lead dev. has left the project and development has been discontinued.

Back