Will revert repository from Latest to Quarterly cause any problem?

Hi Folks,

Here is the thing Lagrange has a bug that prevents menu to show the items list, other people using Lagrange do not have this issue, the difference among us is I am using the latest branch and they are using the default quarterly branch.

I can create a boot environment before to revert the repository however I am not sure it will be enough.

Anyway I would like to test if this depends because the repo or because any particular setup I made, henee I have to revert the repository.

Will this operation cause any system problem?

Thanks in advance,

tgl

I can create a boot environment before to revert the repository however I am not sure it will be enough.

Maybe also take a snapshot of things such as your home directory.

After booting the new environment then preferring the inferior set of packages: pkg upgrade --force.

Depending on your use case: the slim possibility of an inferior application finding trouble with application data from a superior version.

Instead of opening a new thread I'll bump this one. Is this procedure still relevant in mid-2024? I'd like to "move back" from Latest to Quarterly too.

A new quarterly was just made, so quarterly and latest aren't that far apart. If you want to switch, now would be a good time to do so.

That's exactly my idea :) . However, after switching this is what i get:

Code:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    178 B   0.2kB/s    00:01   
Fetching data.pkg: 100%    7 MiB   2.5MB/s    00:03   
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 34470 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (48 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (48 candidates): 100%
Cannot solve problem using SAT solver, trying another plan
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

Should I be worried?

Check with pkg version -vRL= to see if things are missing or might have the wrong version. You could also do pkg upgrade -f, this will simply reinstall everything.

It showed 46 packages to be downgraded and 571 to be reinstalled for a grand total of 2GB of download - yikes! Let's see how it goes, I can always revert to the previous BE should anything go wrong.

It showed 46 packages to be downgraded
Yeah, that's one of the things that could happen if you switch from latest back to quarterly. It's only been a few days since the new quarterly and you can see there's already a divergence. Near the end of a quarterly branch this difference can be huge.

In the more "extreme cases" you could be robbed of your favorite new package, small utility whatever, that was just introduced on the latest branch but will only pop up in quarterly in the its next incarnation.

Actually in this case one of the reasons that pushed me to rollback to quarterly is that mate-terminal is not available in latest whilst it's present in quarterly.

Back