Wifi not working - FreeBSD11.1

Hi all,

I am new to FreeBSD. I have tried a lot to enable my wifi but no success.

Below is my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:

Code:
network={
       ssid="myssid"
       psk="mypsk"
}

/etc/rc.conf is:

Code:
hostname="host"
ifconfig_ath0="DHCP"
ifconfig_alc0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
sshd_enable="YES"
dumpdev="AUTO"
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

But when I run service netif restart it says:

Code:
wlan0: no link...... giving up

ifconfig_ath0="DHCP"
There is no need to request an IP address for ath0
The handbook describes that some encryptation modules need to be loaded - encryption will not occur without the tkip/ccmp modules. Note some older hardware only support one encryption algorithm.

DHCP does need to solicit an IP address for wlan0.
Code:
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

See section 30.3 in the handbook about the modules, Identifying the correct device and the correct /etc/rc.conf syntax
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

You need to remove these lines
Code:
ifconfig_ath0="DHCP"
ifconfig_alc0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
only these lines should exist in your /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
Then run # service netif restart.

also, the wpa_supplicant.conf may require some addidion if the network isn't actually a typical WPA Personal one. In my experience modern NAT routers for optical fiber connection often provide WPA2, while Universities and offices often offer some kind of WPA-EAP, potentially hidden; on the plus side some public networks still rely on Open/Shared-key WEP. The " ifconfig $interface up list scan" output can provide useful info about the kind of network to connect to. wpa_supplicant.conf(5) provides all the required info

ILUXA Sensucht94 Thanks for your help.

However, still no luck. exactly the same thing happening. When i do ifconfig wlan0 scan, it does show my wifi SSID. And I can connect my phone & windows laptop to my wifi without any issues

I also tried by command line:

#ifconfig wlan0 ssid myssid wepkey mykey deftxkey 1 up

#ifconfig wlan0 (below are some lines from output of this command)

ssid myssid channel 3 (2422 MHz 11g)
regdomain 101 indoor ecm authmode OPEN privacy OFF deftxkey 1
wepkey 1:104-bit txpower 20 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 protmode CTS wme burst bintval 0
groups: wlan

Usually, if the network interface (wlan0) for the device node (ath0) has been configured properly, the problem lays in the network configuration (e.g. rc.conf, wpa_supplicant.conf, resolv.conf). Is it a WEP network you're trying to connect to then?

If you don't manage to solve the problem why don't you use a graphical tool like net-mgmt/networkmgr till you learn the "manual way"; plus is more handy to use a graphical tool on a notebook if you travel a lot and use free wifi spots.

Looking at man ath it indicates that you may need to load modules in your /boot/loader.conf

Code:
if_ath_load="YES"
if_ath_pci_load="YES"

I have my own little quickstart to wireless in FreeBSD.
http://srobb.net/fbsdquickwireless.html

By the way you do mention using wepkey in your command line, if you're using wpa or wpa2 you wouldn't want the wepkey line. I don't see in the ifconfig man page, a way to ad the wpa key at command line in FreeBSD, though there may be one I don't know. (In OpenBSD you can). But usually, as has been said, you will configure an /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file and use that.

If you don't manage to solve the problem why don't you use a graphical tool like net-mgmt/networkmgr till you learn the "manual way"; plus is more handy to use a graphical tool on a notebook if you travel a lot and use free wifi spots.

Yes, it's a nice tool, originated from GhostBSD,
Ranga, try to load kernel modules, as written above,
add if_ath_load="YES" and if_ath_pci_load="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf, then execute # kldload if_ath
and # kldload if_ath_pci to load modules instantly.
Then install net-mgmt/networkmgr and configure it:
Maybe someone doesn't know,
there is a nice app in ports tree (originated from GhostBSD) that manages ethernet and wi-fi connections pretty well.
net-mgmt/networkmgr
0Ehs9kp.png

To use it:
1. install it # pkg ins networkmgr
2. create /usr/local/etc/doas.conf with following content:
Code:
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd netcardmgr
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd detect-nics
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd detect-wifi
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd ifconfig
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd service
permit nopass keepenv :wheel cmd wpa_supplicant
3. your user shoud be in the wheel group.
(Execute # pw groupmod wheel -m yourusername and then relogin.)

After installation and configuration, remove all ifconfig related lines from /etc/rc.conf,
then launch networkmgr, it should configure your connection automatically.

Looking at man ath it indicates that you may need to load modules in your /boot/loader.conf
but if devd(8) correctly created an ath0 node, shouldn't ath(4) and its dependencies (including ath_hal(4),AR415 descriptors support and ath_pci(4)) have been loaded already? I'm quite sure ath and related are built-in in GENERIC by default, thus they do not need to to be loaded as modules. The proof is that they should not figure in kldstat output, even if attempted to be loaded with kldload

grep ath /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC

Code:
device          ath                        # Atheros NICs                           
device          ath_pci                    # Atheros pci/cardbus glue
device          ath_hal                    # pci/cardbus chip support
device          ath_rate_sample            # SampleRate tx rate control for ath

Those are all uncommented

Thanks for the tip on GUI interface. I installed gnome. Then wifimgr which is GUI for wifi connections. Now my 'ifconfig wlan0' is as below:

media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet MCS mode 11ng
ssid myssid channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g ht/20) bssid d4:04:cd:cf:fb:b0
regdomain 101 indoor ecm authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy ON
deftxkey UNDEF AES-CCM 2:128-bit txpower 20 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60
protmode CTS ampdulimit 64k ampdudensity 16 shortgi -stbctx stbcrx wme
burst roaming MANUAL
groups: wlan

But still internet doesnt work. I tried ping and also surfing on browser.

Thanks for your time and support all of you.

please ignore my last post. Everything is working fine now. I forgot to reboot my computer thats all

you guys are awesome. thanks so much. Hoping to learn freebsd in coming days. i have started reading the handbook.

Back