Why won't Freebsd make a device entry for my USB device?

I've got a USB device that when plugged into FreeBSD 7.1 gets the following :
Code:
Mar  3 22:22:52 srv1 root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x101e product 0x0005 bus uhub0
Mar  3 22:22:52 srv1 kernel: ugen0: <Fronius Datalogger, class 0/0, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3> on uhub0

Notice the <addr 3> portion.. I believe that indicates I need a /dev/ugen0.3 file but only have the following :

Code:
srv1# ls -la /dev/ugen*
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0,  98 Feb  7 15:37 /dev/ugen0
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0,  99 Feb  7 15:37 /dev/ugen0.1
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0, 100 Feb  7 15:37 /dev/ugen0.2

I ran some test code to talk w/ this device and it tried to open /dev/ugen0.3 after picking through the USB device structures returned by the libusb stack.. However, I can't get mknod to make me one either.. I gather that starting in the FreeBSD 4.x time frame we switched away from using mknod to using devfs and that make_dev() should be taking care of things automatically.. Any ideas on why this is not working??

I plugged in one of these but mine is missing the serial port shown in the picture.. This is a data logger that captures data for Solar inverters to monitor how well the panels are behaving,etc..
fronius_datalogger_pro_box.jpg

Likely not.. The company that makes this device (Fronius) isn't even listed in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs which lists all registered companies.. I know there is no driver and don't mind genning one up but I can't get very far w/o a device entry first, hence my question.

osx-addict said:
I know there is no driver and don't mind genning one up but I can't get very far w/o a device entry first, hence my question.

It's the driver that creates the dev entry. No driver, no dev entry. Cause -> effect.

SirDice said:
It's the driver that creates the dev entry. No driver, no dev entry. Cause -> effect.

But there _is_ a driver - "Generic USB Device", usually called ugen(4).

@osx-addict: You could try to contact USB maintainer, Hans Petter Selasky.

Solved!

Just a quick followup.. I contacted the author of the ugen device driver (Hans) and he suggested trying out FreeBSD 8 if possible.. That of course led me down a completely different path with CISS driver issues,etc.. Anyway, I've got FreeBSD 8 (stable) running and it works great and my ugen0.3 device entry exists so this thread is solved.

Back