Solved Why Subversion?

ldgc

Hi :)
I would like to know why subversion is the version control system of the base, doc and ports repositories.

Thanks in advance!

obsigna

Aspiring Daemon

GitHub is a platform which offers GIT and SVN as the VCS.

BTW, the FreeBSD sources are mirrored on GitHub and if you like, you can work with that one, instead of the SVN sources at freebsd.org.

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd

phoenix

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Do a google search for something along the lines of "freebsd migrate cvs subversion" and you'll get the history of the migration, the reasoning behind it, and public debates around it, the upheaval that occurred, and the end result of using it. :) There's a lot of history and debate around this, that's all saved online. :)

Suffice to say that at the time of the migration, SVN suited the workflows best coming from a CVS background.

dclau

Or transparency, maybe. Don't quote me for that. A good thing, if you ask me.

phoenix

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

The FreeBSD GitHub mirrors are read-only. They probably are in there just because some people "live" in GitHub.
Pretty much. There's a SVN-to-GIT gateway so that those developers who prefer to use GIT can do so on their systems. Same for a SVN-to-Mercurial gateway (although I'm not sure if that one is still operational).

But, regardless of what you personally use to keep your patches, you'll need to submit a diff that SVN can understand, in order to get it into the official source repo. :)

drhowarddrfine

Son of Beastie

Think distributed control versus centralized control and you'll understand the difference between git and subversion.

Datapanic

ProTip:
#Note that devel/apr1 needs to have IPV6 disabled for svn+https to work