Solved Why Subversion?

Hi :)
I would like to know why subversion is the version control system of the base, doc and ports repositories.

Thanks in advance!

Do a google search for something along the lines of "freebsd migrate cvs subversion" and you'll get the history of the migration, the reasoning behind it, and public debates around it, the upheaval that occurred, and the end result of using it. :) There's a lot of history and debate around this, that's all saved online. :)

Suffice to say that at the time of the migration, SVN suited the workflows best coming from a CVS background.

The FreeBSD GitHub mirrors are read-only. They probably are in there just because some people "live" in GitHub.

Pretty much. There's a SVN-to-GIT gateway so that those developers who prefer to use GIT can do so on their systems. Same for a SVN-to-Mercurial gateway (although I'm not sure if that one is still operational).

But, regardless of what you personally use to keep your patches, you'll need to submit a diff that SVN can understand, in order to get it into the official source repo. :)

Is FreeBSD moving to git?

I read this:

The Core-initiated Git Transition Working Group met over the last quarter, however a report is still forthcoming. Discussions will continue in the fourth quarter of 2019. There are many issues to resolve including how to deal with contrib/, whether to re-generate hashes in the current Git repository, and how to best implement commit testing.

Back