Shell Why is status not working in my my rc.d script?

There's a certain node application called Foundry that I run on a server, and I've prepared the below script located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to manage it. The script itself I adapted from another one I found elsewhere and I'm still in the process of making it perfect for my needs, but it works fine as-is for starting and stopping the service.
However, the problem I don't understand is that when I run service foundry status , it always says foundry is not running, even if I'm confirming that it is in fact running. If I stop the service the .pid file goes away, so I know it's being used:

Code:
root@foundry:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service foundry status
foundry is not running.
root@foundry:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # cat /var/run/foundry.pid
root@foundry:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # service foundry stop
Stopping Foundry...
root@foundry:/usr/local/etc/rc.d # cat /var/run/foundry.pid
cat: /var/run/foundry.pid: No such file or directory

According to what I'm reading in the Handbook here, the presence of the $pidfile variable sounds like the only thing that's needed. Though the status command didn't even do anything but throw an error until I added extra_commands="status" to the script: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/foundry: unknown directive 'status'.

So yeah. I'm not really seeing what I'm doing wrong here. What can I do to get service foundry status to actually return the status of the running process?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.subr
name="foundry"
node="/usr/local/bin/node"
foundry_app_dir="/usr/local/www/foundry/foundryvtt/resources/app"
foundry_data_dir="/usr/local/www/foundry/foundrydata"
executable="main.js"
foundry_user="foundry"
log_file="/var/log/foundry.log"
foundry="${node} ${foundry_app_dir}/${executable}"

rcvar="foundry_enable"

pidfile="/var/run/${name}.pid"

extra_commands="status"
sig_stop=-KILL

start_cmd=foundry_start
stop_cmd=foundry_kill
restart_cmd=foundry_restart

load_rc_config ${name}
command_args="--dataPath=${foundry_data_dir}"

foundry_restart() {
        if [ -n "$(cat ${pidfile} 2>/dev/null)" ];then
                printf "Restarting Foundry...\n"
                foundry_kill
                sleep 5
                foundry_start
        fi
}

foundry_start() {
        printf "Starting Foundry...\n"
    daemon -f -o ${log_file} -p ${pidfile} -u ${foundry_user} ${node} ${foundry_app_dir}/${executable} $command_args
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
        printf "Error starting Foundry. See ${log_file} for details.\n"
        exit 1
    fi
}

foundry_kill() {
        printf "Stopping Foundry...\n"
        kill $sig_stop `cat $pidfile`
}
run_rc_command "$1"

A wild guess, try writing a function foundry_status which explicitely checks the pid ?
I could do that, sure, but I'd rather fix the problem in the first place and use the system's built-in function handle it instead of just doing a workaround.

I could do that, sure, but I'd rather fix the problem in the first place and use the system's built-in function handle it instead of just doing a workaround.
AFAIR, the status check not only tests that a process with the PID merely exists but that it is the expected program as well.
I think that you need to set procname variable to ${node} or something like that.

AFAIR, the status check not only tests that a process with the PID merely exists but that it is the expected program as well.
I think that you need to set procname variable to ${node} or something like that.
That is exactly what it was. I added procname=${node} to the script, and now status is returning the expected output. Thanks a ton.

IIRC you have to set the "interpreter" variable so that the process can be identified in the output of ps. I don't recall the details of this.

Back