Solved Why is ports-mgmt/poudriere building lang/rust?

If they want Rust in any base, they need to fork it, even if they use a portable Posix C compiler along with Rust. They could just have their own ports tree for Rust that can be enabled that works on top of or alongside FreeBSD Ports. They could also use Redox or one of those operating systems.

Jose Awesome. I think we've all run into that.
Large tech companies like Cisco hire lots of junior and mid-career programmers that are under intense pressure to stay current with all the latest fads trends. Having your current employer pay you to learn new things works nicely, and makes you seem like a motivated go-getter to the sort of semi-clueless middle manager who's likely to be your boss at that stage of your career. I remember those days well.

RDD is a joke, but it's backed with a little bit of truth.

I honestly don't know if Rust is just the latest Pascal or the next Python. Fortunately I have the leisure to not have to care.

Reactions: mer
No one wants to knock the idea of building a better mouse trap, but there are different ways of defining better. Rust might well overcome shortcomings in C, such as the ability to write technically correct code which creates chaos at run time.

However, anything new has to fit into the existing world. Beta video was technically superior to VHS, but VHS was established first in the market place and Beta couldn't compete with the investment tied up in that slightly earlier technology. Both were eventually superseded by DVD video etc, but that happened for two reasons:

1. DVD was sufficiently better than tape to justify consumers buying the players, and
2. The big money investment was in celluloid which could as easily be copied to one format as another.

Powerful people don't like the truth. They want the world to fit their wishes not reality. I have ruffled Cisco's feathers by pointing out their assumption everyone will just fall in with what they want and adapt to continue using their product, rather than just walk away and find something else if that adaptation's too onerous, is a flaw in their business model they don't want to see. The market doesn't work like that. People won't necessarily jump over barriers suppliers put in their way.

Until someone writes an entire OS in Rust with an API compatible with existing software, C will be here to stay.

Yes, I could configure ports-mgmt/poudriere to use a binary package, but the joy of Poudriere is the fact it builds packages for me while I'm away from my computer so they're ready for me to install when I am. If I have to start implementing workarounds for individual packages I lose a lot of that simplicity. There may be times when I have to do that but, on this occasion, it's not worth the effort.

Back