Why is FreeBSD not (more) like an automobile?

In Germany, people compare everything to an automobile, perhaps because it is
Germany's main industry, perhaps because most people have their car in their heart.

Is FreeBSD like an automobile?

autos are not like autos anymore. I think part of the master plan is to get the herd use to mass transportation and incapable electric vehicles, since folks were much easier to control before they experienced the "freedom of the road". Get everyone back into city apartments and the only folks allowed in the country are those with vacation permits and those coprorations that exploit the natural resources...Its coming, just hope I'm dust before then.

Look at stick shifts...cannot get them anymore and I understand that is no longer just a north american restrictions. getting harder to find them in europe as well?

If FreeBSD was like car today it would:
- not be open source
- maintenance task on its components would require expensive tools, would lack free maintenance documentation
- even simple maintenance task that should take few mins would require you to disassemble halt of the server
- simple maintenance task would require you to acknowledge and/or modify status via OEM provided diagnostics
- using it would make you angry as everything would have touch screen, even simple admin task would require you to go two-three levels deep into menu
- be expensive
- would be damn ugly (what happened to the interior design of current cars ? )

autos are not like autos anymore
You are sure not a German, _martin very probably. Although I like his answer,
I hate these comparisons. I was just curious if people in other countries do
the same comparison.

When people begin "explaining" with always the same introducing words "it is like a car",
I must contain myself for not answering loud what I am thinking: "no, idiot, it is not
like a car, don't you see it is a completely different thing?"

IMHO there is only one way to compare cars and FOSS / FreeBSD:

In the outside world people want options to choose from, personalize. Alike coffee and cars, it should be tweaked to the individuals' needs and taste.

How different with computer software: the majority of computer users buy a box with a standard Operating System on it. No questions asked, one flavour fits all*). The urge to personalization limits to a wallpaper and a dark theme.

When cars were like computers, the streeds would be full of Trabants. You could choose a colour, but no guarantee you would get it. When ever.**)

Motorcyclists probably are more like FOSS/FBSD -- you hardly see many of the same model at the same time. Your bike depicts your choices.***)

*) OK, two OSses. Wadnows and Apple. The second one is for those with more money.
**) These days Trabants will be replaced by Teslae. They come in the colors white and black. When it's broken, there seems to be no guarantee for spare parts. Sounds pretty 'GDR-ish' (color instead of the proper spelled colour, because it is an American car).
***) Over here the BWM GS Adventure might be an exception. See my remarks on the fruit company above.

Kind Regards,

I think the question is badly formulated. Germany is more than just cars, something like aspirin is synonymous with Bayer, as is the case with a variety of products in many countries. Anything exported from this country is looked upon as of high quality standards, although this lost value for me since Dieselgate in 2015.
Now, if you ask if FreeBSD is in the hearts of its users and developers, of course, anything DIY will feel like its own child, like the one who writes a book or plants a tree.
Would it be a Ford if it were a car? It's not a perfect, next-gen encapsulated system, but you know you can fix it if necessary.

..., people compare everything to an automobile, ...
Probably correlates with low education and low income. Look out for smarter buddies that do not trap in category errors.

... perhaps because most people have their car in their heart.
Cardiologists have so far found no cars in people's hearts.
Maybe this is because they do not boot their medical imaging with FreeBSD?

So let's try to have some fun:

If you can have a virtual penis enlargement with cars,
can you enlarge your penis with FreeBSD?
And if so does FreeBSD have a better effect than Linux?

Back