Why in FreeBSD, despite changing the settings in the daemon, the system sometimes uses either the old settings or mixes them up.

I briefly analyzed this code.
I cannot find information in the code where the startup scripts directory is defined and how init retrieves information about startup script settings. Which services should be enabled and where exactly does the daemon startup setting come from, e.g. /etc/rc.d

OP is looking in the wrong place to make settings stick. People who know more about the topic (than OP clearly does) have already pointed OP in direction of .conf files, which will help OP solve the problem of settings persistence across reboots. OP proceeds to ignore helpful advice. I guess learning the long, difficult, confusing, and incorrect way is the only way forward for the OP. 😩

I guess the party to celebrate settings that persist across reboots is still a LONG way off for OP. 😏

I briefly analyzed this code.
I cannot find information in the code where the startup scripts directory is defined and how init retrieves information about startup script settings. Which services should be enabled and where exactly does the daemon startup setting come from, e.g. /etc/rc.d

Hi, can you give me one example of the program that not keep saved changes across reboots?

Code:
#reboot -r

The  system  kills  all    processes,  unmounts  all filesystems,
           mounts the new root filesystem, and begins  the    usual  startup
           sequence.   After  changing  vfs.root.mountfrom    with  kenv(1),
           reboot -r can be    used to    change the root    filesystem while  pre-
           serving kernel state.  This requires the    tmpfs(5) kernel    module
           to  be loaded because init(8) needs a place to store itself af-
           ter the old root    is unmounted, but before the new  root    is  in
           place.

"place to store itself" -> initramfs

The initramfs archive contains files and directories necessary to start the operating system and perform the necessary initialization operations. Typical initramfs content may include:

1. Initialization programs (init)
2. Startup scripts
3. System tools and programs needed to configure and initialize the system
4. Kernel modules needed to support the hardware
5. Libraries and other shared files that are needed to run programs and tools

In addition, initramfs may also contain additional configuration files, scripts for mounting file systems, setting up networks, loading additional kernel modules, and other files and utilities needed to boot the operating system in a specific environment.

That's what chatGPT says. So this may not be true.
RB_REROOT=RB_REROOT /sbin/reboot

I guess you get an 'F' in this class... 😩

I suggest just reinstalling your whole system from scratch, following the Handbook this time, instead of relying on fragmented and disconnected bits that you can get ChatGPT to spit out at you. Yeah, it takes time to actually learn something. Don't count on ChatGPT to do the learning for you, especially if you can't even get anything useful out of interacting with ChatGPT, to the point you don't even realize you're looking in the wrong place, OP. ChatGPT won't tell you that you're looking in the wrong place - an AI is not smart enough for that.

But he says what I want to hear.
Yeah, ChatGPT is your yes servant who doesn't know any better. Hearing only what you want to hear is not gonna be very useful, since you won't even know what you're missing out on. 😏

I think we all should really spam these Forums with links to the Handbook and the message to read the Handbook, then maybe the RTFM message will make it into a ChatGPT dataset that ChatGPT will spit out at friggin' EVERYBODY, then maybe OP will understand.

OP: RTFM. 😤

I guess you get an 'F' in this class... 😩

I suggest just reinstalling your whole system from scratch, following the Handbook this time, instead of relying on fragmented and disconnected bits that you can get ChatGPT to spit out at you. Yeah, it takes time to actually learn something. Don't count on ChatGPT to do the learning for you, especially if you can't even get anything useful out of interacting with ChatGPT, to the point you don't even realize you're looking in the wrong place, OP. ChatGPT won't tell you that you're looking in the wrong place - an AI is not smart enough for that.

Yes, you right , is a lost case , offer my help but he dint hear...
maybe it has a concentration problem o maybe is just a troll
he dont want to hear anything,only his solution and view

Back