Solved Why I don't have wifi on the Thinkpad x250 and FreeBSD 11.1?

2018-06-05-214810_1368x768_scrot.png

(bsdconfig wireless can't find my wifi interface)

Hi all, last night I installed FreeBSD 11.1 on my Lenovo Thinkpad x250. I was using several months OpenBSD with no problems on the wifi but now It seems it doesn't detect it. I was following the manual https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html but nothing :-(

[joan@lenovo ~]$ dmesg | grep wifi
[joan@lenovo ~]$
[joan@lenovo ~]$ dmesg | grep wireless
[joan@lenovo ~]$
[joan@lenovo ~]$ dmesg | grep net
em0: Ethernet address: 68:f7:28:91:c8:76
em0: netmap queues/slots: TX 1/1024, RX 1/1024
pci2: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
ue0: <USB Ethernet> on cdce0
ue0: Ethernet address: 02:15:e0:ec:01:00
[joan@lenovo ~]$

I tried:

[joan@lenovo ~]$ ifconfig | grep wireless
[joan@lenovo ~]$

And:

[root@lenovo /home/joan]# sysctl net.wlan.devices
net.wlan.devices:
[root@lenovo /home/joan]#

I read on several blog sites and there is people using this Lenovo Thinkpad x250 with the iwm0 drivers, and I read the 11 version has iwm0 installed on the core, anyway I don't know how to install them.
Can somebody give me some light, please?

Thanks.

I solve it! I read and read and read, and finally I found the precise information. From my point of view, sometimes the problem of FreeBSD is the documentation, because commonly everybody say "FreeBSD has a very high-quality documentation" but on the manual https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html there is no information about how to add the drivers, how to know the driver of your own computer, how to configure it, etc. So these manuals are not allways as good as we say.

Anyway I found the solution just reading posts on the forum, and now I am writting on my laptop connected by Wifi ;-)

The command # pciconf -lv was showing me this:

[I]none4@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x028000 card=0x52028086 chip=0x095b8086 rev=0x61 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'Wireless 7265'
class = network[/I]

So, obviosly the operative system was dettecting it, but nothing on dmesg. What I did is:

I read on the forum that FreeBSD 11-current was supporting my card by iwm, so I installed:

kldload if_iwm
kldload iwm7260fw

I also added the following to /boot/loader.conf the next lines with the driver of my laptop Lenovo Thinkpad x250:

if_iwm_load="YES"
iwm7260fw_load="YES"

I rebooted and now I see on the dmesg:

iwm0: hw rev 0x210, fw ver 16.242414.0, address 34:02:86:e7:01:a8

Now, I read that now in FreeBSD 11 there is no iwm0 automatically, and we have to created it. So, I created the network interface wlan0 by:

ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwm0

And now, If I write ifconfig I see it:

wlan0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether 34:02:86:e7:01:a8
hwaddr 34:02:86:e7:01:a8
nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
ssid "" channel 1 (2412 MHz 11b)
regdomain FCC country US authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30
bmiss 10 scanvalid 60 wme bintval 0
groups: wlan

Next, I added these lines on the /etc/rc.conf in order to have configured the network from the boot of the system:

wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"
create_args_wlan0="country ES regdomain FCC4"

And finally, for my router's ADSL I added the ssid and password on my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf as usually:

network={
ssid="MY_ADSL"
psk="MY_PASSOWRD"
}

And that's all.
As you know, we can do some changes or modify some files and reboot the network just by service netif restart.

I am now the happiest man on Earth, I'll drink some beers to celebrate it :):):)

I solve it! I read and read and read, and finally I found the precise information. From my point of view, sometimes the problem of FreeBSD is the documentation, because commonly everybody say "FreeBSD has a very high-quality documentation" but on the manual https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html there is no information about how to add the drivers, how to know the driver of your own computer, how to configure it, etc. So these manuals are not allways as good as we say.

Anyway I found the solution just reading posts on the forum, and now I am writting on my laptop connected by Wifi ;-)

The command # pciconf -lv was showing me this:

[I]none4@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x028000 card=0x52028086 chip=0x095b8086 rev=0x61 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'Wireless 7265'
class = network[/I]

So, obviosly the operative system was dettecting it, but nothing on dmesg. What I did is:

I read on the forum that FreeBSD 11-current was supporting my card by iwm, so I installed:

kldload if_iwm
kldload iwm7260fw

I also added the following to /boot/loader.conf the next lines with the driver of my laptop Lenovo Thinkpad x250:

if_iwm_load="YES"
iwm7260fw_load="YES"

I rebooted and now I see on the dmesg:

iwm0: hw rev 0x210, fw ver 16.242414.0, address 34:02:86:e7:01:a8

Now, I read that now in FreeBSD 11 there is no iwm0 automatically, and we have to created it. So, I created the network interface wlan0 by:

ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwm0

And now, If I write ifconfig I see it:

wlan0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
ether 34:02:86:e7:01:a8
hwaddr 34:02:86:e7:01:a8
nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
ssid "" channel 1 (2412 MHz 11b)
regdomain FCC country US authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30
bmiss 10 scanvalid 60 wme bintval 0
groups: wlan

Next, I added these lines on the /etc/rc.conf in order to have configured the network from the boot of the system:

wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"
create_args_wlan0="country ES regdomain FCC4"

And finally, for my router's ADSL I added the ssid and password on my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf as usually:

network={
ssid="MY_ADSL"
psk="MY_PASSOWRD"
}

And that's all.
As you know, we can do some changes or modify some files and reboot the network just by service netif restart.

I am now the happiest man on Earth, I'll drink some beers to celebrate it :):):)
Hi
After Reboot upon running dmesg | grep error, i get following output:
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xfffffffff80ff4550, 0) error 19
iwm0: could not read firmware iwm7265Dfw (error 0)
iwm0: dumping device error log
uhub0: iwm0: Invalid error log pointer 0x00000000
What could be wrong?
Thanks
Ravi

Didn't see that one coming. Guess it just goes to show you the manual is not always 100% up to date.
Glad you got it worked out.

I wonder if the generic iwn(4) '"All Firmware" setting would have worked.
if_iwm_load="YES"
iwmfw_load="YES"<< this loads all the iwm firmware
Or dynamically loaded:
kldload if_iwm
kldload iwmfw

Back