Why doesn't make package make dependency packages?

Hello all,
I'm building up a list of packages in a jail(8) from a list of ports(7) I have installed on a (dated) server I'm going to upgrade. I'm making a custom install DVD that I built $BASE, and the kernel for, and now I'm building all the packages that will need to be installed. But [man=1]make[/man] package-recursive doesn't work the way I thought it did. IOW while package-recursive makes dependency packages I want, it also remakes all the packages already in packages/All! This is a total WOT!
How to make a package, and make the dependency packages without remaking already made packages?

Thanks!

--Chris

If you're making a package, the assumption is, it is made for others. Maybe it rebuilds as a preventative measure to keep that set of packages from being built on a repository that doesn't want them. That is, if it doesn't know which packages are build-only dependencies.

ports-mgmt/portmaster has an option to use packages for build-only dependencies.

Use a package builder like Synth or Poudriere.
I'm quite familiar with ports-mgmt/synth. In fact I love it. But I think you missed the part where I said I'm building all this from within a jail(8) :)
I'm pretty sure make(1), and or the ports(7) framework should provide for making packages of the dependencies. But I just haven't found the right incantation. :(

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, tobik@ !

--Chris

If you're making a package, the assumption is, it is made for others. Maybe it rebuilds as a preventative measure to keep that set of packages from being built on a repository that doesn't want them. That is, if it doesn't know which packages are build-only dependencies.

ports-mgmt/portmaster has an option to use packages for build-only dependencies.
I caught that sidetone . I've done quite a bit of reading to try and figure out how to get the dependency packages built, and ports-mgmt/portmaster came up a few times. I may be forced to go that route. But I've been trying to avoid that for a couple reasons; 1) It's currently under heavy re-development, in an effort to catch up with all the ports(7) framework changes in the last year, and 2) If it fails during the building of a meta-package, there's a lot of cleanup involved, that I'd like to avoid.

Thank you very much, sidetone , for taking the time to respond!

--Chris

So? You can point Synth to the jail root and it'll build packages using it.
But ports-mgmt/synth is a jail itself -- actually a chroot(8). Which is kind of like putting a jail(8), in a jail(8). While it's perfectly legal. It's a bit messy, and not a very efficient way to accomplish the simple task of getting the ports(7) framework to make the dependency packages of the parent package. I also asked John ( marino ) about this (putting synth in a jail), when ports-mgmt/synth first hit the ports(7) tree. He also advised against it. He's fairly recently created Ravensport (I don't have the link handy). Which I'm dying to try. But I'm waiting on some hardware (a new system) to dedicate to it. So haven't used it yet. But I plan to do all my package building with it.

Is there really no way to get make(1), and or the ports(7) framework to make dependency packages of the parent package?

Thank you very much, tobik@ , for all your time, and trouble. :)

EDIT:
I should also mention that host that these jail(8)s are running on is on 12-CURRENT. While the jail(8)s themselves, are 11.1-STABLE.

--Chris

I caught that sidetone . I've done quite a bit of reading to try and figure out how to get the dependency packages built, and ports-mgmt/portmaster came up a few times. I may be forced to go that route. But I've been trying to avoid that for a couple reasons; 1) It's currently under heavy re-development, in an effort to catch up with all the ports(7) framework changes in the last year, and 2) If it fails during the building of a meta-package, there's a lot of cleanup involved, that I'd like to avoid.

I kind of guessed you were aware of it. You're right about portmaster. It doesn't seem fully compatible with flavors, and that causes a few ports to not build.

It looks like the ports system needs to be updated, or there needs to be a simpler tool for it.

I wish there were something simple like portmaster, that would only rebuild a port if the package is not made with the same options, and is not up to date, as well as not build build-only dependencies.

I wish there were something simple like portmaster, that would only rebuild a port if the package is not made with the same options, and is not up to date, as well as not build build-only dependencies.
Amen to that, brother! :):beer:
Me too!

--Chris

Back