Why does X always crash on me when I log out or shut down?

Any time I try to log out of gnome, shut down, or restart the computer, X immediately closes and seems to hang. I have no signal getting to my monitor and no keys work. I need to physically hit the reset button.

Any ideas?

What videocard?

Make sure you have the latest versions for everything, especially xorg-server.

I was experiencing similar problems a while ago...

Try updating all your installed ports. For me the problem has vanished with one of the last updates.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

After reading a number of pages off google, it seems like one possible work around was uninstalling the gnome-screensaver package. I did that, and now I can log out, but I cannot start X up again without my monitor going into the "no signal" mode. (for some reason I also lost the ability to "reset", "shut down", or "switch user" in the system menu in gnome.

Anyway, I installed openbox to see if the problem was gnome specific. I can log out from openbox, but if I try to start X again (just using startx), it goes into "no signal" mode, so it would seem that the problem is with X and not with the window managers.

As far as I can tell, I am running the latest version of all the installed packages, and have updated my ports. (I'm completely new to non-windows systems, so I could be wrong about everything being updated).

I'm using FreeBSD 8.1 RC2 amd64

I'm using a Radeon HD 2400 Pro on a 32" 1080p tv over HDMI using the "radeon" driver.

Here are sections from my xorg.conf

Code:
Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "dri2"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "SAM"
	ModelName    "SAMSUNG"
	HorizSync    26.0 - 76.0
	VertRefresh  23.0 - 61.0
        Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        (bunch of commented out options)
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "radeon"
	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
	BoardName   "RV610 video device [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     1
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     4
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     8
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     15
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Please let me know it there's anything else you need to help identify the error.

Thanks for the help.

Any updates on this? I've seen this problem for several people running 8.1 amd64 with the radeon or radeonhd driver. I have the same problem, I can run an X session and I can close it later, but if I try to start xorg the system locks and has to be hard powered off.

Stop using radeonhd. Seriously.
Make sure you have
Code:
WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=yes
in /etc/make.conf.
Make sure you don't have any custom CFLAGS defined in /etc/make.conf.
Make sure you have the latest ports, and followed /usr/ports/UPDATING in getting there.
Any time an xorg problem comes up, post links to your xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
Lastly, if you've fixed it, follow up and report that.

Back